Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twilliams9476

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
So here is my dilemma. I got a letter a few days ago from the college I am going to, and it included a list of requirements if we were bringing our own computer. One of the requirements was if we had a Mac, to have Office 2008. I have talked to a friend who is replacing her current Macbook with another Macbook later in the summer, and we decided that when she bought her Macbook, that we could split the price of Microsoft Office for Mac 2008. Now, should I just go ahead and continue on with the plan with my friend, or what? Is there a huge difference in Office 2004 and Office 2008? Thanks! :)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The only real difference, aside from the new "ribbon" interface, introduced in Office 2007 (Win), is that Office 2008 reads and writes the new ***x files (docx, xlsx, etc). Microsoft has a free converter on their website http://www.microsoft.com/mac so you don't really need Office 2008, but if you are running an Intel Mac, you will find it a bit faster since it is Universal, vs 2004, which is a PPC application.

TEG

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Yeah, multi-license key software is for members of one household. Read the fine print! I'm sure many people are unaware of this restriction because they skip over that stuff, just clicking I ACCEPT and going on. So, your plan to share a purchase with a friend is a non-starter. You each have to buy your own, and then can use the keys on your own computers, if you have more than one. Office for Mac 2011 is supposed to be out in time for Christmas shopping. Perhaps you can get by with Open Office (free download) until then.

twilliams9476

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Yeah, multi-license key software is for members of one household. Read the fine print! I'm sure many people are unaware of this restriction because they skip over that stuff, just clicking I ACCEPT and going on. So, your plan to share a purchase with a friend is a non-starter. You each have to buy your own, and then can use the keys on your own computers, if you have more than one. Office for Mac 2011 is supposed to be out in time for Christmas shopping. Perhaps you can get by with Open Office (free download) until then.

Well technically, we will be in the same household. Our parents have been best friends FOREVER, and so we have known each other since basically birth. We are going to the same college, and our parents are letting us get an apartment together, because we are basically brother and sister. So technically, we will be in the same household.

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Well technically, we will be in the same household. Our parents have been best friends FOREVER, and so we have known each other since basically birth. We are going to the same college, and our parents are letting us get an apartment together, because we are basically brother and sister. So technically, we will be in the same household.

Well, no matter how you explain it, it does not meet the requirements, technically, ethically, and morally.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The only real difference, aside from the new "ribbon" interface, introduced in Office 2007 (Win), is that Office 2008 reads and writes the new ***x files (docx, xlsx, etc).
Neither Office 2004 nor Office 2008 has the new ribbon interface.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

technically |ˈteknik(ə)lē|
adverb
1 [usu. sentence adverb ] according to the facts or exact meaning of something; strictly

Technically, you are not. You are just rationalizing.

rationalize |ˈra sh ənlˌīz; ˈra sh nəˌlīz|
verb [ trans. ]
1 attempt to explain or justify (one's own or another's behavior or attitude) with logical, plausible reasons, even if these are not true or appropriate

I used the word "household" which might not, technically, be the correct terminology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.