Office 2007 & MacLink Plus

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kashchei, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Does anyone know if Office 2007 uses the same file format as Office 2004 (and Office X and Office 98)? I ask since I see that MacLink Plus 16 supports Office 2007. Is this a sales ploy or has Microsoft changed the file format on us?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I do believe that it's a new file format. However, I find it very unlikely that Microsoft would leave all it's previous users hanging out to dry. I suspect it's a sales ploy. Particularly since Apple has worked very hard to make OS X more complatible with Windows environments, I think MacLink+ has seen it's business significantly dry up as OS 9 became less and less used. I, for example, haven't used it since I switched to OS X full time in 2001.

It offers XML data now.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101723691033.aspx

EDIT: Seems like it may not be a ploy afterall.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Office 97 uses the same file format as Office 2004, but not as the default. Office 2007's default file format is a new Microsoft proprietary Open XML format. Word 2007 documents have the default extension .docx. MacLinkPlus Deluxe 16 is supposed to be able to translate this format into other supported formats. This is hardly news. Bill Gates himself announced the switch to XML-based formats years ago. He said that he was "betting the company." Microsoft's move is intended to thwart the fledging non-proprietary XML-based Open Document standard.