Office 2008 - Canadian Pricing? =\

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NikMac, Apr 21, 2008.

1. NikMac macrumors member

Hi,

It's very possible that I'll be getting a mac soon, and I'd like to run Office on it. I live in Canada, and noticed that Apple's price for Office for Mac 2008 (Home & Student edition) is priced at about $149USD. The Canadian store shows it as $199.99 CAD. Why is there a $50 difference, when according to most converters (including one built into Windows Vista :eek:, there should only be a $1 or $2 difference? And it's not like this is recent - there's been a small difference for many months now. Am I missing something? :confused:

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Nothing new. Apple always rips off Canadian customers. Every Mac, every iPod, EVERYTHING! Try getting it at Futureshop or Best Buy, you may save a few bucks.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, see if they go on sale or sometimes stores will offer bundle discounts.

To be fair, it's not just Apple -- most companies have unfair price differences between products sold in the US and in Canada. Try pricing out a car, or a Sony camera, or a book... that's why there was such an uproar recently when the Canadian dollar was ABOVE par for a few months, yet the prices didn't change.

4. NikMac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the answers everyone. I don't shop online much, so this is pretty new to me. I checked the BestBuy and Futureshop websites - price is the same, but I will keep an eye out for sales. Oh well, I'll probably buy it anyways (along with AppleCare, .Mac, Time Capsule, Apple Remote - might as well pay for another Macbook :p), just sort of annoyed at the price. Thanks again everyone (love your sig Notjustjay :D).