Office 2008 can't see Thai fonts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TXOID, Apr 17, 2009.

1. TXOID macrumors newbie

Hi, I installed Office 2008 yesterday and found out that it can't show Thai fonts. Any suggestions on the solution?

2. nastebu macrumors 6502

I assume you've enabled Thai language support in OSX? (Or more accurately, I assume there *is* Thai language support in OSX).

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your assumption is correct. The OP should go to the International preferences pane to enable Thai language and support.

4. TXOID thread starter macrumors newbie

I did enabled the Thai font support in the Apple menu preference. I can see Thai fonts on the internet, can typed them on Textedit and Safari, but can't on Word :( What should I do?

5. sww macrumors newbie

I have been trying and trying to get Thai to work properly, and every time I think I have found a workaround, I find some other stupid way in which Office 2008 simply does not support Thai.

Thai is not in the official list of supported languages. What this means is Office 2008 does not support the Thai language. I personally think Microsoft should make this clear when selling this product in Thailand.

This is a very expensive product here in Thailand, and to sell it in Thailand without telling people that it simply does not support Thai is nothing short of dishonest.

I can see Thai fonts in Word, and I can create/open documents that are written using Thai.

Just try getting it working in Excel! Especially if you are importing a CSV file that was written using TIS-620 encoding, you're simply out of luck. It just displays gibberish.

Given that Excel has existed for the two decades or more on the Mac (and 8 years natively for OSX), I think it's appalling that Microsoft can't sort this out. Especially since it is actively sold here in Thailand.