Office 2008 citations: What a tease

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by g.money, Jan 18, 2008.

1. g.money macrumors member

Hi all,

Just grabbed Office 2008 and was excited to use the citation manager (I'm a grad student), but then realized that only 4 citation styles are available: APA, MLA, Chicago, and Turabian.

Now, I realize that these cover the basics, but if I'm not mistaken Office 2007 for Windows allows you to select from more citation styles.

My problem is that I use Chicago author-date, not standard Chicago footnotes. Therefore Word doesn't format my bibliographies correctly.

Is there a way to import citation formats? Or at least edit them?

2. K4VKS macrumors newbie

Sorry I can't help you. I've been using word 07 on my PC and LOVE the citation "wizard". I also am a grad student, but use APA so this works perfectly for me. I would suggest you check out the MS help section on their website. I'm sure ure not the only one with this prob.

3. alexandrend macrumors newbie

I'm a grad student too and this is really interesting.
    Unfortunately I have to use different kinds of citation styles, one for national (Brazilian) and another one for international publications and the national one is not available.

I would be really interested in finding a way to create "custom" citation styles for Office:2008.

4. adnan.galabhai macrumors newbie

Hey folks
    I recently got Office for Mac 2008.
    As you may be aware, EndNote is not compatible with it.

Are you guys aware of any other bibliographical software that runs on 2008?
    Also, the citation manager in Word 2008, does anyone know how to show up the reference list in that ? It only inserts the references "in-text", is it ??

Thanks

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

The second part there is simple: Docment Elements (part of banner on top) > Bibliographies > and click either Bibliography or Works Cited.

As for more citation formats try to go to the forums at mactopia.com and post there. Lots of people including MS people, to help, or say if they plan to add them someday.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Personally I love LaTeX as it has the best citations.

7. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

The latest edition of Bookends works with Word 2008. I switched from EndNote a long time ago and haven't looked back. As an added bonus, it works well with Papers.

8. sosnoregrets macrumors newbie

I have a few issues with the citation feature in Mac Office 2008.

First, whenever I close my document and reopen it at a later date, all the citations in my citation list are gone. I have to continuously return to the Citation Source Manager and add them back on. It can be frustrating.

Secondly, I have been working on 2 papers/documents at once and the citation source manager clumps all my citations together rather than keeping them separated by document.

Lastly, when I created my APA reference page, the bibliography creator didn't insert all of the information regarding my author names if I had more than one author for a citation. So, I had to go in and type them in by hand.

Even with these complaints, I am thankful that I have a bibliography creator. It does make things a bit easier overall.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

La/BibTeX FTW!

10. digitaldave macrumors regular

digitaldave

Zotero

It uses a plug in for Firefox to create the data base, and a plug-in for Word (and Openoffice.org) that enables you to insert citations in the format you want and create a bibliography. There's a big bonus IMO in that the lates beta version (1.5 I think) can sync your data base to a their servers so you can access it on any computer with FF and the Zotero plugin. I've use it with the Harvard system, and it worked fine for that.

Hope that helps :).

EDIT: Forgot to say it's free!