Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Just installed Office 2008. I'm noticing that when I open any app, I get lots of the following errors in the console log:

Jan 28 15:49:57 computername Microsoft Excel[35241]: CGBitmapContextGetData: invalid context
Jan 28 15:49:58: --- last message repeated 29 times ---
Jan 28 15:49:58 computername Microsoft Word[35225]: CGBitmapContextGetData: invalid context
Jan 28 15:49:59: --- last message repeated 14 times ---
Jan 28 15:49:59 computername Microsoft Excel[35241]: CGBitmapContextGetData: invalid context
Jan 28 15:50:22: --- last message repeated 49 times ---
Jan 28 15:50:22 computername Microsoft Word[35225]: CGBitmapContextGetData: invalid context
Jan 28 15:50:30: --- last message repeated 100 times ---
Jan 28 15:50:30 computername Microsoft Excel[35241]: CGBitmapContextGetData: invalid context
Jan 28 15:51:00: --- last message repeated 189 times ---
Jan 28 15:51:00 computername Microsoft Excel[35241]: CGBitmapContextGetData: invalid context
Jan 28 15:51:14: --- last message repeated 59 times ---
Jan 28 15:51:14 computername Microsoft Word[35252]: CGBitmapContextGetData: invalid context
Jan 28 15:51:44: --- last message repeated 324 times ---

Not doing anything....just opening it to a blank doc. Anyone else getting these?

Very annoying.

-Kevin

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Yes, I'm getting these too. So far no real signs of instability, though.

One thing, I did leave Office 2004 on, since I need it for Excel macro compatibility. Wonder if that has anything to do with these errors.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Yes, I'm getting these too. So far no real signs of instability, though.

One thing, I did leave Office 2004 on, since I need it for Excel macro compatibility. Wonder if that has anything to do with these errors.

Nope...I removed 2004 :D I just love Microsoft.

Thanks for checking. Glad it's not just me.

I haven't seen this cause any real instability either....I just happened to have checked something in the logs and saw all these.

Did you do a custom install?

I did not install the Microsoft Office fonts or Messenger.

-Kevin

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Nope...I removed 2004 :D I just love Microsoft.

Thanks for checking. Glad it's not just me.

I haven't seen this cause any real instability either....I just happened to have checked something in the logs and saw all these.

Did you do a custom install?

I did not install the Microsoft Office fonts or Messenger.

-Kevin

I installed everything. You can afford to do this on a Mac Pro :)

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I installed everything. You can afford to do this on a Mac Pro :)

Even with the Mac Pro....I like to limit what M$ apps get installed :p

I have no need for Messenger, and I've heard reports of the Office fonts overriding and messing with OS X fonts.

How do you like the Preference windows in the apps? I guess copying is the greatest form of flattery. I thought it was a nice touch to have PowerPoints preferences...just slightly different than Word and Excel....in true Microsoft fashion!

-Kevin

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Even with the Mac Pro....I like to limit what M$ apps get installed :p

I have no need for Messenger, and I've heard reports of the Office fonts overriding and messing with OS X fonts.

How do you like the Preference windows in the apps? I guess copying is the greatest form of flattery. I thought it was a nice touch to have PowerPoints preferences...just slightly different than Word and Excel....in true Microsoft fashion!

-Kevin

Yes, shame on MS! Then again, why not?! :)

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Well....I've had another friend say that he's getting the console errors as well. He did a full install.

Anyone know a link to submit feedback to M$?

-Kevin

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I submitted this to the Office forums, although I'm not sure who designed them, they are awful.

Anyone else confirm they are having problems as well?

-Kevin

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I received a reply back to a post on the Ars forums from a MacBU member and they are aware of the console log issue. His response was:

Yep, we're aware of it. Some CG stuff changed under the hood in Leopard and the OS is logging warnings to the console about things that are legal according to the documentation but not technically correct according to Apple devs. (Oh, for documentation that matched developer intent...!)

-Kevin

tasiv

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Toolbar views in Word08

Can anybody figure out how to make a Word doc in Office 2008 for Mac permanently set a selection of toolbars besides Standard and Formatting? I want all my new docs as well as those I download to open with the "Reviewing" toolbar already displayed at the top so I don't have to invoke this per doc.

Thanks!

Allen

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
That's what will happen when you port (and very badly at that) the Windows Office to Mac. Office 2008 wasn't a complete re-write like Office X was. This was taking existing x86 code and porting it to OS X. They had to do that because if they compiled office X and 2004 the correct way, it would have been super easy to compile it as a universal binary using Xcode. But, they didn't, and now we have a cob job port of Office that is super inefficient on even the fastest Macs.

tasiv

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Thanks, Hodgjy. Do you mean I shouldn't have upgraded to Office 2008 in the first place or that I installed it the wrong way? I just did it from the disk.

thanks!

Allen

tasiv

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Hodgjy: Now, I see. You mean the former: I should probably go back to Office 2004 for OX, right? Do you think they'll fix these bugs in 2008 eventually? Doesn't sound like it since it wasn't compiled to and 2004 in the right way.

Allen

QUOTE: That's what will happen when you port (and very badly at that) the Windows Office to Mac. Office 2008 wasn't a complete re-write like Office X was. This was taking existing x86 code and porting it to OS X. They had to do that because if they compiled office X and 2004 the correct way, it would have been super easy to compile it as a universal binary using Xcode. But, they didn't, and now we have a cob job port of Office that is super inefficient on even the fastest Macs.[/QUOTE]

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
If you have Office 2008, stick with it. It has a few bugs that Microsoft knows about and will fix very soon. As far as errors in the console log, just ignore them. Many apps have errors in the console log. Most of the time, the errors are inconsequential and you'll never notice the difference. The only way you ever knew there was a minor bug was to look in the log, which is something the average user will never do.

Stick with Office 2008. It's a fine application. It'll do more than you'll ever need it to do without so much as burping along the way. All applications have bugs. I just think Microsoft has a very strange way of "upgrading" their product lines. They have many bugs because they decide to cob job their software rather than make new code. Remember Windows 95/98/ME? That crap was a cob job of 16 bit MS DOS and 32 bit Windows. Heck, even devices were often used in real mode rather than protected mode that is what modern systems use.

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Just a note, I mixed up posts from the OP and another in this thread. Just take them as my unsolicited opinion rather than trying to answer any specific post. Sorry, and thanks.

tasiv

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Do you know of a Word for Mac 2008 forum where someone might know how to solve my immediate problem of not being able to universally/permanently "set" a selection of toolbars besides Standard and Formatting? I tried amending the normal.dot, and that didn't work.

Sorry if I posted to the wrong place. New to this forum.

Allen

masterv

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2007
Can't 100% agree with ya, i have the same errors in the log, my trouble is, the office 2008 runs too slow than other applications in my Mac, such as logic studio, aperture, etc. My guess is that those errors in the log causes CPU load goes too high, so could anybody else help me to solve this error so that i can figure out what causes my office 2008 soooooo slow!!

If you have Office 2008, stick with it. It has a few bugs that Microsoft knows about and will fix very soon. As far as errors in the console log, just ignore them. Many apps have errors in the console log. Most of the time, the errors are inconsequential and you'll never notice the difference. The only way you ever knew there was a minor bug was to look in the log, which is something the average user will never do.

Stick with Office 2008. It's a fine application. It'll do more than you'll ever need it to do without so much as burping along the way. All applications have bugs. I just think Microsoft has a very strange way of "upgrading" their product lines. They have many bugs because they decide to cob job their software rather than make new code. Remember Windows 95/98/ME? That crap was a cob job of 16 bit MS DOS and 32 bit Windows. Heck, even devices were often used in real mode rather than protected mode that is what modern systems use.

Leftus

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2008
Oz
I have Office 2008 also and it's also slow. But even trying to customise it with sounds etc (as you could with the PC version) seems impossible. I wish I had found this site before I bought the Office, maybe I should have used other software? If anyone knows of an Office 2008 forum please let me know?
Cheers;)

spongebob.

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2006
earth
Youre joking

"Stick with Office 2008. It's a fine application."

Hey I have users in Office 2008 who cant even type numbers into Excel without getting these errors and it taking AGES.

WHEN WILL WE LEARN? Doesnt anyone see that this is purpose?

Since 11 years Microsoft is now touting Office for Mac. Since that time,
POWERPOINT has been an absolute DISASTER, (Cant open files with 80 graphical slides or more in any reasonable time at all), in WORD we are trying to change the default language of the Spellchecker since now 8 years, and now, in Office 2008, Excel has become unusable. And I wont even comment on the fact that when you search for a domain like gmail.com in the search box in Entourage, Entourage does not even show you the emails that contain partly that adress.

After 23 years and 2 IT degress in this industry when will we learn: Office on the Mac is a total failure and disaster. Did we need to wait for Bill to retire before realizing this?

I am sorry, this is no longer funny. Its purpose.

Hello Pages, Hello Numbers, Hello Mail.

My life has been fine since quite some time. Then again, I always trusted Steve more.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Just an update, looks like the latest update 12.1.3 finally fixes the errors in the console log for the Office 2008 apps.

Took them long enough!

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.