Office 2008 for Mac and Lion OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Badrottie, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I was told that Office 2008 for Mac and Lion OSX 7.1 is NOT compitable???

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

From what I can gather, you can't install 2008 on 10.7 but you can run it if it's already installed (for example, if you have upgraded from 10.6).

3. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

4. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

yeah Office 2008 was installed with SL 10.6.8 so it is good to know.

Thank you

5. robertcloud macrumors newbie

Don't want to derail the thread, but I recently bought office 2011 from my university store and it is terrible. I'm resorting to using Office 2010 in windows on a virtual machine powered by vmware fusion 4.0, and this is a much better solution for me.

6. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Is this still true? About installing Office 2008 on Lion?

I'm needing it to do some work at home for work. The file will not open in Pages/OpenOffice correctly and I do not want to have to mess with this at work. I'm hoping to buy 2008 as it'll be less expensive than 2011 and I'm only going to need it for a day or so.

7. In Utopia macrumors regular

Only problem I have is I'm not able to send as attachment directly from Word or Excel like I used to.

8. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I just installed Office 2008 on my 2012 MBA. No problems with the installation or usage. I considered getting Office 2011, but then I realized that in 2008, I had bought a three-license version and had used only one so far.

9. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Thanks. I hate having to purchase this software JUST for this issue. I even tried downloading a demo of Office '11 and it wasn't working right. Same thing happened a few months ago when I tried downloading a demo. A few days later I finally got the download link. By then I gave up.

So would y'all suggest using 2008 or 2011? Also, let's say I buy 2011 and it's still not formatting it properly, could I cancel that license and sell it as used?

10. locoputo macrumors newbie

I'm still using 2008 because I like how everything works, and why fix something that isn't broken. Everything still works fine on lion for me, even with endnote installed.

11. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

If you need Office for only a day or so, I'd use the 11 demo. If you decide to buy, new copies of 08 can be had for <$50 on Amazon.

I have no experience with 11 except for Outlook, which is fine.

12. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Office 2008 installs on Lion! Be sure to update the MAU and the MERP then apply all updaters. You can find them under Additional Tools on Microsoft downloads.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads

How to Install, Re-install and Update Office 2008

If you need to purcahse, onsidering the current prices for Office 2008 are under $50 (it was $32 at one time) and the fact that Office 2011 is half way through it's current cycle, I would get Office 2008 and wait for Office for Mac v15.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Somehow I'd ended up with the idea that the installer was still a PowerPC app. I've just tried it and sure enough, it does work under Lion. I don't know where this PowerPC idea came from :)

Edit: Under Snow Leopard, it apparently pops up and asks you to install Rosetta when you launch the installer. I don't know why it needs Rosetta under SL but happily runs under Lion :confused:

14. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

If memory servers, the file that needed Rosetta was the original Vise updater that was quickly updated to a package installer. There were a couple of other minor files that were updated to PPC as well when Lion was introduced.

15. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I've tried downloading the demo and I always get "The request to this fragment failed." Been trying this for months with the same error. Last time I finally got an email days later asking me to download. By then it was too late. Lame.

I ended up going to Best Buy and buying the 1 license Home/Student version. Eh. Hopefully it'll be worth it down the road. At least now I can do some more work stuff from home. I'd do it on Pages but the problem I had was the Export to Word wasn't always 100% perfect and if I did pdf I couldn't edit it later.

Edit.. Just tried a different email to download the demo. Now I get

Error:

We are unable to perform the selected action. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Error Number: SIT_000002

16. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

Autoupdate 232 is the most important, immediately after your install from DVD. Then all the rest of the updates.

I have been running Office 2008 on Lion since Lion first came out. I have used a wiped-disk-fresh-install of Lion, not upgrades, three times now. Here is the sequence I have used (note, the updates are not cumulative, so you need to install them all).

Office2008.jpg