Office 2008 for Mac - Venting !!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chris001, Feb 23, 2008.

1. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

i love office, i need office. we all do.

i'm wayyyy too stubborn to go over the iWork or NeoOffice.
    i don't know what it is, i just don't want to :D

BUT, WHEN WILL MICROSOFT COME OUT WITH AN UPDATE FOR THIS OFFICE 2008?

i'm soo annoyed with this office 08, and i dont want to go back to 04 because 08 is obviously better IMO.

I HATE the problems Office 08 has with expose and spaces :mad: JUST MAKE IT COMPATIBLE!!!

neone here of an update coming???

2. methodmano macrumors member

I can't understand why they didn't make the UI the same as Office 2007 for Windows, which I find very impressive.

3. f1 macrumors 6502

Ew the ribbon interface is just disgusting. I wish Office 08 had the same interface as 04 much easier.

4. chris001 thread starter macrumors regular

chris001

i agree, the UI for windows office is pretty nifty.
    it takes time to get used to, but i think it is more efficient over time.

sometimes i think microsoft makes their products too simple if they are making them for the mac. making it seem like mac user won't understand complex things or somethig?

5. Glenny2lappies macrumors 6502

It looks like there's one developer working on it at Micorsoft:

http://www.officeformac.com/blog/Office-2008-Update/

I think the consensus is that Office 2008 a poor product update. Probably Microsoft are not that bothered with creating it so have done as little as possible. Especially when you consider the price of Office 2008 is a fraction of the price of Office 2007 -- isn't it nice to have a choice of applications and not have a single monopoly application as per Wnidows:)

6. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Nope. Some of us hate it, don't need it, and don't use it. ;)

You already admitted you're the stubborn one.

7. chris001 thread starter macrumors regular

chris001

8. unknown87 macrumors regular

Some of us DO need Office for academic work and work; things have to be 'just so' and compatible. For the person who isn't hell bent on slagging off EVERYTHING 'Micro$oft' produce (please don't let me ever see that...), Office 2008 is fine. I've had zero problems so far, and that's with daily use for a while now.

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I find it horrible and extremely hard to use, but that's just me.

I also don't see the benefit of 'giving it time to learn it'. In businesses, nobody is going to lose 2 weeks of productivity just to get used to some fancy ribbon interface.

Hooray for OpenOffice. At least that looks and works in relation to how I expect it to. :D

10. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I use 2007 at work. And there are things I don't like about the UI. Mainly I HATE how it is all blue and it is so hard to tell if you have a message open on top of outlook it is hard to tell them apart.

I don't like that part. As for 2007 as a whole, it is ok. There are some little things that bug me.

jTm

11. methodmano macrumors member

It shouldn't take 2 weeks to get to know the new UI. I'll give you a day max. The benefit is that it's increased my work productivity based solely on the UI and feature enhancements.

I'm not a Windows fanboy, but you can change the color from blue pretty easily. Not sure what you mean about the message on top.

12. mac4matt macrumors member

You can change it to all black or silver in options. I like it black.