Office 2008 for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imacdaddy, Mar 11, 2008.

1. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Please see my sig on my MP config.

I'd gotten myself a copy of Office 2008 for Mac when I bought my MP and for the first time, I'm using it in "real world" situation. I copied my .ppt, .docx and .xlsx files from work created on Office 2007 on Windows to work on it at home.

I came across these major issues.
    1. I noticed my images in my ppt are not showing properly.
    2. Scrolling through all three file types are really slow. (opened at one at a time) Even slower if all 3 files are opened.
    3. My original word document look like crap on the Mac and look nothing like the original created in Office 2007.

Anyone experiencing the same issues with Office 2008 for Mac? This is a native Intel app right? It seems to run the same as Office 2003 on my iMac G5 PPC, with a lot less power and a lot less RAM!!!

I've got a deadline on Friday and was hoping to get some of it done tonight. :( Looks like I better install Vista and get a copy of Office 2007 to work on the Windows side just to be safe. Not impressed with MS. :mad:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is not a hardware issue.
    Office 2003 is a Windows-based suite. Office 2004 is a Mac-based suite.

More to the point--you are not dealing with anything that may be causing your "problem":
    • Do you have the same fonts installed on both computers? If not, then you cannot possibly hope for your documents to display properly.
    • How much formatting do your documents have? In my experience, only the most proficient Windows users have a clue about proper formatting. Improper formatting becomes very obvious when a document created on Windows is opened on a Mac. Examples of bad formatting include using spaces in lieu of tabs, inadvertent extra spaces, etc.
    • Do your documents have imbedded graphics? These may cause slow scrolling under certain circumstances.
    The thing that you need to understand is that Microsoft compatibility is a contradiction in terms even between two different versions of the Windows-based suite. That said, the compatibility issues tend to be minor even if they are vexing. The level of compatibility problems that you describe indicate that your problems may be user-created.

3. imacdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Phew! I hope so. I meant Office for Mac 2004.

• I'm just using Arial

4. imacdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Phew! I hope so. I meant Office for Mac 2004.

• I'm just using Arial
      Just the usual normal style and tabs, indents and bullets

Yes I do have graphics in my ppt. They were copied and paste special > jpeg. But the graphics alone are less than 200K in filesize...I don't think its enough to lag the system.

I'm not impressed with Office 2008 for Mac. I thought it would fly since it's a native app. Oh well. Thanks anyway.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

JPEG is a compressed format. Your graphics are 200 K in compressed form, but they may be much larger when displayed. Generally, the best way to embed graphics in Office files is to Insert > Picture > From File ... (Word) or Insert > Picture... (PowerPoint).

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Neo0ffice is pretty much Windows compatable,its a bit ugly side mind you