Office 2008 goes 'gold' (RTM)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mwxiao, Dec 11, 2007.

1. mwxiao macrumors regular

According to MACNN.

Ordered one by Super Suite Deal. Hope they can ship it out now...

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Shouldn't be long until this is on the torrent sites...I'm awaiting it for erm, the reviews...

I'm still going to be a Pages+NeoOffice user though...

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Good to see they're in time for MWSF.

Once Office '08 is UB with Office '07 docx support, and working fine (with Exchange servers for instance) on the Mac, then the Intel transition is truly complete!

Then... sit back and enjoy Apple's market share rise. ;)

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The last beta was definitely a beta so I hope a lot has changed.

5. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

I use mostly Pages/keynote but will buy it anyway. Sometimes export feature in pages does not work well for me, and numbers are nice but far cry from legit spreadshet

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its definitely the first thing people ask when they see my Mac "Yeah, but can it run Office"...Office 04 runs too slow to impress, and Neo isn't a viable alternative in the eyes of most people who have been brainwashed into thinking only MS can make Office suites...

7. gumbyhw macrumors newbie

Some words were cut off...

"for the price of shipping and handling" should have been followed with "and a delay of up to six weeks."

This is in the fine print of the super saver offer. TTTT I don't think it's a burden; not only do I get the 2008 package for $54.00 but I'm, err, encouraged to wait for the first service pack.

8. mwp98223 macrumors 6502

Actually, it says 6 to 8 weeks! So I guess we might see it in March?

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I've never used Office:Mac as soon as it came out...any comments on the stability of previous GMs?

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

WOW that tool a while....Ahhh how I love Neo-Office.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Maybe you should try Neo, its quite far ahead of Office:X IMO...

13. thomas040 macrumors member

thomas040

about f'in' time...! :)

let's see how long the torrents will take.... someone have to get a hold of it...
    I mean... why even bother make a golden master? Why don't just let people buy it from the website, and download it!?

Don't get software developers these days. What's the point of buying a REAL cd with it on? I mean come on, how long would it take to download? 10 minutes?

Well... they have the dubious honor of being retarded, so I guess it's their prerogative to behave that way.

14. vixapphire macrumors 6502

i'm still running office:x (first osx version) on my computers too, 10.5 included. document production/editing, excel populating. for the lawyer tasks i give it, it does the trick. i'm not sure in what useful (to me) way neo could be "far ahead of Office:X". bells and whistles aren't exactly called for. i do miss wordperfect, though; office is always taking the initiative (numbering, indentation, etc.) in most frustrating ways...

15. macsig macrumors regular

a beta is supposed to be a beta

They are gonna sell it an the begin of January

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yeah I know that but it would crash when going to save a file and then it wouldn't be able to recover its state. It would crash if I looked at it funny so in the relatively short time between this beta and GM is a little shocking from my viewpoint, hence my post. In fact thinking back it seemed more like an alpha release as the issues i faced were serious.

It is not like other betas that I have used where there seems to be some issues but overall things works.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And as usual it's not on MSDN. With a new development model (ie. no VBA) surely it would make sense to let developers actually use it?!

18. igazza macrumors 6502a

igazza

This will be the last version of office they make for mac

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Why do you say that?

Microsoft sell a lot of copies of Office to mac users.

20. blipper macrumors regular

Running WordPerfect when I really need to do hardcore document processing is by far the main reason I have Parallels. And those Office self-formatting decisions are a lot of what makes me hang on to WordPerfect.

21. tom5304 macrumors regular

I recently had to create some documents in Excel and Powerpoint (Office 2004), and I was really surprised when I found Office easier to use than iWork '08.

This ran counter to my expectations, and counter to what I've heard mostly everyone say. I expected iWork '08 to be intuitive and easy, and it seemed fine, but then when I had to use Office at school, I found it to be easier. All the menus and the commands just seem way more clear to me and easier to find and use in Office.

I was learning from the ground up on iWork '08, since I had never used either a spreadsheet or presentation software. When I found myself working with Office to create a few documents at school (PC dominant), I got the work done so much faster and more easily than with iWork '08.

Anyone else out there with this experience? After my last week of having to work with both applications under deadline pressure, I have no problem declaring that I'm going to buy Office:Mac, and set iWork '08 aside.

22. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

For anyone who has ordered the Super Suite upgrade online, how do they verify that you are eligible? I tried to find out by going partially through the order process, but it wants my credit card before saying anything about verification of the required Office 2004 purchase. No, thank you! :eek:

The reason I ask is that I recently purchased Office 2004 for only $20 through Microsoft's Home Use Program - it's basically a deal with your employer that lets you buy software for home if you also use it at work. I'm not sure if I'm eligible for the Super Suite deal since this is not a "normal" purchase. (Even if not, presumably it'll show up sometime under the Home Use Program for another $20 - not too shabby.)

23. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Will this be released at the same time in the UK?

24. weckart macrumors 68040

You wrote:"goes gold", which, to be fair, is in the URL you linked.

The article, however, states "nears gold", which is the state it has been in since way back when.

In fact, if you read the first two lines, apart from their forming an incomplete statement, you realise that MacNN is not privy to any more insider information than anyone who happens upon MBU's sneak peak pages.

Nothing to see. Move along.

25. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

Been testing the beta and there's definitely some new features about Office which are very, very cool. By all accounts, it's a much more mature product and less "toy-like" than previous versions.

The only thing I'm still missing is Visio, though there are some quasi-Visio features coming that are pretty cool, and, of course, there's still Omnigraffle.