Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
Coming from a recent switcher...........

When I create or edit a document in Word, and then go to the File Menu and select "Save As...", I get a dialog box that allows me to change the name of the document as well as the type.

The problem is the limitation on WHERE I can save the document. The default is the My Documents folder. The drop down has some additional choices but I want to be able to choose where I want the file saved. In Windows :eek: I'm allowed to choose any directory/folder I want.

Is this an Office 2008 snafu, an OSX snafu or am I just not doing something correctly?

Currently, I just save the doc in the My Documents folder and then copy it to the destination of my choice. But then I have to close and re-open the document.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Neither Word nor OS X ... it's you:D

See the little triangle beside the file name field? Click that.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
In the "Save As..." dialog, there will be a button with a down-pointing triangle next to the name of your document. Click that, and the dialog box will expand into what is essentially a Finder window. From there you can navigate to any folder on your computer.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
Neither Word nor OS X ... it's you:D

See the little triangle beside the file name field? Click that.

I was hoping someone would say it's me. I'm at work at the moment on a PC, but when I get home this evening, I'll give it a try. I didn't notice the triangle.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.