Office 2008:Mac - Entourage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lugesm, Jan 19, 2008.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I am currently using Office 2004 (Word and Excel only). I did not install the full Office 2004.

Question: Why would I need Entourage?
    I am running a 24" iMac with Leopard 10.5.1.; have not yet installed Office 2008; and I see Entourage as redundant. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your comments.

2. Viremia macrumors regular

There are several reasons. From what I understand, Entourage can work with an Exchange server fairly well. That's not important to many people not working at larger businesses.

For the single user, it provides 1 program to keep up with email, contacts, to-do lists, and calendar. Instead of opening a bunch of different apps, you just open 1.

Having said that, I still use Mail, Address Book, and iCal. I installed Entourage 2008, but I doubt I'll ever use it.

3. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thank you for your comment. You have pretty well stated the opinion I have. I am using iCal, Address Book, and Leopard mail; so I don't have a lot of incentive to change. Just thought I would ask, as I felt that I might be missing something.

Regards,
    L

4. fkazem macrumors newbie

entourage 2008

Hi
    I have installed office 2008 with entourage 2008. at work we have ms exchange 2007. I noticed that some threads were talking about how easy it is to setup entourage 2008 to work with exchange server.
    I can not however make this happen! can someone help me( step by step)setup my entourage to work with the exchange server?

thanks,

f.Kazem
    netherlands:apple:

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have no experience with Entourage 2008 but I do have experience with Entourage 2004. That version was no easier to setup with Exchange than any email client with any ISP. Outlook essentially will setup itself. All you need is your account name and password. Entourage 2004 will not setup itself. You need the URLs (Internet addresses) of your servers. If you have a working installation of Outlook, you can find the URLs there. Otherwise, you may have to call your IT staff for the information you need.

6. Glenny2lappies macrumors 6502

I think it's one of those preferences things. If you've come from Windows and Outlook, then Entourage is quite familiar. I think it is in some ways more powerful than Outlook in that Entourage has quite powerful ToDo and categorisation capabilities which are a great help when managing projects and the like.

Personally I feel that Apple's iMail, iCal and Address Book to be somewhat of a retrograde step. Microsoft developed Outlook in 1997 to combine their existing email client and Schedule+ calendar with an address book. I'm not sure that Apple's separate applications work for me, although I do understand some of the arguments for a set of small, simple, tools to be more in tune with the UNIX way of doing things.

So, if you fancy a change, or have used Outlook before, or need better project/time/people management features, or need to integrate with Exchange, then use Entourage.

But if you're happy with what you've got, then stick with it.