Office 2008:Mac . . . Question About Install

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lugesm, Jan 19, 2008.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I just bought Office 2008; have not yet installed it. I have Office 2004:Mac currently installed on my iMac 24" running Leopard.

Question: The install instructions state that it is not unnecessary to UNINSTALL the old Office 2004 when installing Office 2008.

What experience has everyone had with either approach?

Any problems when installing Office 2008 over Office 2004?

Thanks for your comments.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It simply creates another folder in your applications folder like this

Picture 1.png

The installer will install it and then bring up the option of removing previous installs but I just quite the installer at this point. No problems here.

3. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Appreciate your insight.

Is there a reason to leave Office 2004 on the machine? Or, did you feel that allowing the Office 2008 install program to erase the Office 2004 could cause problems?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I kept it because 2008 is very new and you never know what might come up and I have many many documents that I created in 2004. So it is prudent to keep it around.

5. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Good advice. Thank you.

My wife has a mac-mini 1.66Ghz (core duo) that is running Office 2004. I installed Office 2008 (Word & Excel only) and then had the 2008 install program delete her Office 2004. Everything went smoothly. The only MINOR problem is that it left the icons for 2004 on the dock while installing new icons on the dock for 2008. Not a real problem. :)

Like you, I have many important (to me, anyway) Word and Excel documents on my machine, so I will probably just wait a while to see how the program functions on my wife's Mac before installing on mine.

Thanks again for your help.