Office 2008 misbehaving fonts!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by simonpod, Apr 23, 2009.

1. simonpod macrumors newbie

Hey everybody,

just installed Office 2008 for Macs on my G4 17" powerbook and I'm having problems (my wife installed the same program successfully from the same disk on her G5, so it's not the program. I also created a new account on my Mac, logged in, and and Word is running just fine there.... ). Anyhow. In Word, you are supposed to see, in the drop-down font menus, individual fonts to choose from, listed in their own font style. My menu doesn't: it's all in one generic default text, but the list - unlike the basic Office list - also includes a LOT of other texts rather than just the Office default list; names of fonts that I downloaded over the years for my photoshop and design work.

Worse, and much more critical; whenever I highlight the text in a document, or start a new paragraph with a cursor, and want to change the font thereafter, I make the selection from the drop-down menu just like you should, but there's no relation between what I select and what actually happens on the page e.g.

select Arial and let go of the mouse, and it becomes American Typewriter in the drop-down menu BOX (and is indeed American typewriter on the document screen), BUT the drop-down list has a "tick" against Adobe Garamond Pro. Huh?

Similarly, Geneva becomes Disturbance. It makes NO sense! The same thing, over and over for every font.

Obviously, there must be some corrupting font file (and it's not that Word doesn't have certain fonts installed, and is thereby defaulting to the nearest approximation. Arial is installed in FontBooks.... And I don't even want to use anything other than the basic default files; no weird sci-fi fonts or anything...)

Any help gratefully accepted. I am not familiar with FontBooks, have spent hours looking at it today and remain mystified... Is there a way to sort this out, and find the screwy files, or even just dictate to Word that it should just use only its own default fonts (I would rather not lose all the other fonts I've collected over the years...)? Help!

Thanks in advance.

Simon
    simon@devils-avocado.org

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Font Book will automatically scan for corrupted fonts when they are added, but if something corrupted later you can have it scan the fonts and ensure that they are valid.

Open Font Book, Select All the fonts :)apple:-A or Edit -> Select All) then choose File -> Validate Font. It's not foolproof probably, but it's found problem fonts for me before. See if that'll clear it up.

jW

3. Santaferra macrumors newbie

Machine setup

Hey Simon,

Can you please post a setup of your machine?
    I'm going to ask the Word team here if they have seen that and also try and repro the issue in the lab if they haven't.

Thanks in advance,

Santaferra
    MacBU SE
    Santaferra@online.live.com -online

4. abigrrrl macrumors newbie

Similar issue with Fonts

Hi I am having a similar issue with fonts in Office 2008. I have installed this on a PB G4 running 10.4.11 (all updates have been run).
    Office Setup on user's profile (w/admin priv) hangs when trying to open any Office Prog.
    Office Setup completes succesfully on original admin side and Office prog run fine.
    BUT I cannot run Font Book from either side, I get an unexpected error and asked if I want to send it in.
    All permissions repaired as well as the disk itself has been repaired successfully.
    Any leads appreciated. Console and Sys logs returned fatal errors in /var/log/ats.log indicating what I think are corrupt fonts. Can I simply delete all fonts and reinstall? Some have .ttf extensions, some have .dfont extensions. Some are in some kind of Asian script, some start with #

Any help appreciated,
    abby