Office 2008 registration problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BlackLight, Dec 7, 2008.

1. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

i installed office 2008 for my macbook and everytime i open say word or any other of the office products a registration windows pops up and i dont want to do any registration . But the thing is it wont let me pass it to use office and it clearly states of the office web page that i dont have to register if i dont want to. soo how do i bypass this so i can use office. any help please

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Where do you see that? Beginning with Office 2004, Office:mac has required activation--either online or offline. You can't activate without registration.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You don't have to register w. MS but you do need to punch in an activation key. That's how they know if you've got the usual three machines licensed. Come on, punch in the key - it'll only hurt if you have more than three licenses being used then WHAMMO, the last one on gets blown up.:p

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I never had to register Office 2004 or 2008...

5. BlackLight thread starter macrumors regular

BlackLight

Office 2008 for Mac Product Registration
    Thank you for taking the time to fill out the following online form. If you do not want to submit your information, click Cancel

right there on the registration page.

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Register or activate?

"Microsoft Office Customer Registration

At the completion of the activation process for your software, you will have the option to register your software with Microsoft. Registration is not the same as activation. While activation is required in order for your software to work correctly, registration is optional and is completely separate from activation. When you register your software, Microsoft can send you customized information and offers regarding future products, as well as provide you with improved product support and product update information.
    "

I always have had to activate Office but never needed to register it.

7. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I prefer to register, as it makes it easier to get help if I need it. Other than that, you could do without registering.

8. BlackLight thread starter macrumors regular

BlackLight

yes i have activated my product installed it everything but everytime i go to use it,.. it keeps bothering me with that customer experience improvement program and registration thing..i have clicked not to the first and then when i click continue it brings me to that registration page when i click finish and update window opens ...search for updates already installed all but it keeps popping up after that registration thing.

9. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Consider registering it, but with a name change as such, if you don't want to give out your real info. Then that screen should go away. I clicked NO to the participate aspect, and never saw that prompt again.

10. BlackLight thread starter macrumors regular

BlackLight

i think i got it finally..i uninstalled it due to my frustration and reinstalled it to see if i missed something and indeed i missed the product ID they give you just before installation .. so i wrote it down and i think everything is ok now thanks for all you;ll help guys .....now let me try to get use to this new office :)

edit: problem still exist ..i realised that when i installed office i dont need to register nor update it ..and office will work perfectly..but once i run the updates and install them i cannot access office again ..thats when it keep asking me to register online ..i dont know which update exactly is doing this i will have to find out and i was wondering if its safe to use office without those updates.

11. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Can you post a screenshot of the window that pops up?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

12. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

I solved this issue by following the instructions on the following website:

http://www.entourage.mvps.org/error/setup_assistant.html.

If you don't feel like reading all that, just delete the following two files and restart any Office app.

/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 settings.plist
    /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/OfficePID.plist