Office 2008 Software Update Doomed Me!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by genevievemt, Feb 25, 2011.

1. genevievemt macrumors newbie

So frustrated after spending the entire morning on the phone and web trying to figure this out...

Office 2008 came preinstalled on my refurb Mac (thus, I don't have the install disc with the product key) and has been working fine since I bought my computer two years ago.

Last week, I got a software update notification for Microsoft Word, so installed the update, and now I can't open Office without my product key - which I don't have!! I've done all of the deleting the office.pid files (which everyone suggests) but I still can't open it without the product key. Neither Apple nor Microsoft support has been any help.

I'm so frustrated! If I wouldn't have installed the update that was suggested, this wouldn't be a problem!! Any suggestions??!!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you did not pay for your Office 2008 installation, then you are not the licensee. If this is the case, then you need to pay the licensee for Office 2011 or Office 2008 if you can get it. If you paid for the Office 2008 licensee, then you should demand the original distribution media and all documentation from the seller.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Yeah it seems clear enough that you don't own a license for Office 2008. You'll need to buy one, though at this point you'd be buying Office 2011.