Office 2008 two licenses left?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gentile, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

I have been looking for a cheap edition of Office 2008 Student and Home edition.

I keep seeing people selling it saying that there are two licenses left. It comes with three licenses. What is going on here? Is this piracy?

I assume if someone installs one license they can not sell it without uninstalling it. If I buy this, can I still install it on up to three computers? Who owns the licenses?

One ad says:
    microsoft office 2008 for macintosh
    includes word, excel, powerpoint, entourage, and messenger
    COMES WITH 2 LICENSES!

Another ad says:
    (First Product Key was already used. I don't know if you can still use it, because i returned the laptop I installed it into back to the Apple Store and it was already installed... so i kinda lost my money there.)
    No matter what though, the Second and Third Key Product Codes should work perfectly.

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

sounds like they bought it, installed it which used 1 of the licenses and then probably copied the disk and now are trying to sell it. which i believe is illegal on their part. i would not buy it just for that reason alone if i were you. it's crap like this that will force apple to implement activation into their software like microsoft has to. and that would suck!

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well, the EULA agreement regarding Student edition packages is that the three registration keys are provided for the exclusive use of a single user. The three are provided so that the original single user can legally have it installed on one desktop machine, one laptop machine and one server at the the same time, but the EULA restricts that single user to use any one of the three installations at any one moment in time.

So, anyone saying they have two registration keys left is really misleading you and chances are do not understand (or give a darn about) the EULA that they agreed to when they installed the software. To be legally transferred, the original software disks and all 3 registration keys would have to be transferred to the buyer.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

who the hell cares how many registration numbers it has?? they all work the same, enter it and it will work, even if it was already used. buy the cheapest one and dont think twice about it... i would suggest something else but its against forum rules...