Office 2008 Upgrade, Want Word 2004 As the Default

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GeneQueen, Jan 8, 2010.

1. GeneQueen macrumors newbie

Okay, so we were forced to upgrade to Office 2008 so we could use the new Entourage, but we still want to use Word 2004 as our default for opening .doc documents.

You can go into the Get Info window all day long, set it and CHANGE ALL, but it doesn't work. Have tried this on various Macs, we're mostly still running Leopard, a few on Snow Leopard.

HELP! Is there ANY way to keep using all the old Office docs as DEFAULTS yet use the new Entourage easily?

Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, I looked this up and there are numerous threads here and there (e.g. on Apple and MS's respective support forums), but none of them have a solution.

If you purely want Office 04 aside from Entourage, is it possible to do a selective / custom install of Office 04 without Entourage and then a custom install of Office 08 of only Entourage (actually, you might not need to do a special installation of 04 at all)?

3. jonask macrumors newbie

I didnt rly get if thats what u wanted. But in Word 2008 under preferences ->Save you can choose what format you want to save all documents in as a standard. I use .doc since i have friends and so on who still works with office 2004. :)