Office 2008 upgrade - which version??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dcp, Jan 28, 2008.

1. dcp macrumors newbie

I bought Office 2004 during the promotion period so can upgrade to 2008 for the cost of shipping.

Apparently have choice of two versions - both include main apps (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Entourage). As far as I can tell, differences are:
    1) Special Media Edition - 1 license - includes Exchange server support, Automator actions and Expression Media in addition the the usual main programs
    2) Home and Student - 3 licenses - does not come with Exchange Server support or Automator Actions​

Trying to sort out which one to get.

I definitely do not need Exchange Server support.

What are Automator Actions? - cannot find description on MS website.

Does Expression Media come with the home edition - what is this program anyway?

Having extra licenses might be useful if I add a mac laptop anytime soon - not critical cos I could probably get away with NeoOffice on laptop.

If Automator actions are important I'm thinking I would get the Special Media edition now and could buy Home and Student later if I really need extra licenses. What are Automator Actions??

thx

2. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Automator actions are scripts used to to the thing you normally would have to do manually- for example renaming files or converting file formats, usually things that would be annoying and time consuming to do repetitively.

You can find automator actions for free online, such as: these (for Office, probably not the same ones that come with Office, considering they advertise it as a selling point).