Office 2008 vs. Office 2007

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BdON003, Jan 12, 2008.

1. BdON003 macrumors newbie

I am going to be getting a new Macbook after the keynote, and I have a question for you guys. I am a student and plan on getting VM Fusion so I can run a few apps that are not available on OS X. My question is: since I will already be putting Win XP with VM Fusion, should I just use Office 2007 for windows and run through VM or get Office 2008 for Mac. I know 2008 has not been released yet, but reviews don't seem too bad, except for Entourage. What matters to me most is how well and reliable it will run, so is there anything bad about 2007 with VM fusion in this category? As far as the other applications offered in the windows version, I don't use them so that does not matter to me if I have them on my MB or not. Also, one thing that matters to me a little is if Word for the Mac includes the ability to write math formulas. I have not read anything about that, anybody know yet?

2. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

Office 2007 runs pretty well under Fusion,
    Mac:Office 200X, does not have support for VBA, so if you are into macro writing, I would say stick to Office 2007.
    The Word version of mac:Office 2004, includes the ability to insert equations, so most likely that feature would also be available in the 2008 release
    An alternative for Office under mac is NeoOffice, highly recomended free app. Compatible with the latest Office 2007 formats (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx). It is also capable of writing Formulas. Give it a try before you decide to buy mac:Office 2008.

On the other hand, if you are planning to use Windows (Under Fusion or bootcamp, etc.) do not forget to get a good antivirus utility, remember that even a Virtual machine running Microsoft is vulnerable to virus attacks and other nasty things that are targeted to that OS

My 2 cts... :apple:

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

my biggest concern would be the speed. if the speed is ok, then Windows version probably give you more stuff.

4. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

5. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I find them to be about equal, though I do think Office 2008 looks a little bit better.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you tried both already?

I suspect 2007 has more work space.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. sethro macrumors newbie

I have to agree with your post, I've been using a MS Office 2008 beta for sometime now and everything seems crushed together. Far too much space is being wasted, and the document seems crushed, why does Microsoft try to cripple the Mac version? No exchange or VBA support.