Office 2008 won't start

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LoneWolf121188, May 28, 2008.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

I just downloaded SP1 for Office 08 and now none of the programs will start. When I try to open Word, Excel, etc, it instead launches the Office Setup Assistant (Two screens: do I want to participate in the customer experience improvement programs and Learn More/Register, with a Finish button). I click through this, click finish, and this closes. Then Microsoft AutoUpdate starts asking me how often I want to check for updates. I check for updates, none are found, and close the programs. Nothing happens. If I try to open word, excel, etc again, the exact same thing happens. It seems like its not saving the fact that I ran the setup assistant. Does anyone know how to force it to skip the setup assistant?

This happens on both 10.5.2 and .3.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Delete the following files:

• ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist
    • /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/OfficePID.plist

Then launch one of the apps, put in your serial and it should work

3. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. skinaked2 macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. except i deleted the two items and now it will let me enter my serial number but once i do, i hit continue and it doesnt do anything. it just sits there, what should i do now?

5. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

I have the same problem on my iMac, except that I don't have the first file you mention in the library folder. There's no Microsoft folder in the Preference directory !!

I did install Office 2008 and the problem occured after I installed SP1. I then had to install two other updates, to no avail since no MS app opens since then.

I got to remove Office and install it again, not doing the update. It sucks cause I wanted everything on my new iMac to be perfectly installed right of the bat... so MS screwed it all up !!

Are the apps cleanly removed on a Mac, or are there still ****** files here and there ? I'm thinking about reformating my iMac to do everything again from sractch :D

6. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

If you are using a non-legit key and you install SP1, it will keep launching the setup assistant on startup.

So if you're using a pirated copy, either stick with the release version or get a legitimate copy in order to install SP1 and further updates.

7. MarsianMan macrumors member

Rebooting fixed my problem (although I did a hard reboot unintentionally, though I doubt it matters).

8. kez macrumors newbie

worked for me too, thanks!

it ran the autoupdate the first time i ran word, but the second time it didn't :)

9. hockeydude macrumors newbie

I cant figure out how to register to register Office 2008 for mac. I read the post about deleting the following files
    but i don't know how to delete the files. Sorry for being simple BUT I can't figure it out.

THANKS

10. hockeydude macrumors newbie

How do I get rid of the office assistant set up?

11. hockeydude macrumors newbie

12. foo2 macrumors newbie

You're using an illegal key. Call Microsoft for assistance and they can ensure your key is legal and then help you with the install.

13. Liystalander macrumors newbie

Thank You!

The reason you are having a problem is because you misread the path. Same thing happened to me. The more detailed path is:

Macintosh HD/Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 Settings

The other path is pretty straightforward.

As for the guy who found this fix in the first place, you are my hero. I have an essay due tomorrow, and you just saved me.

If you guys misplaced your serial, like me, you can use this serial. THIS IS LEGAL ONLY IF YOU HAVE A PAID COPY OF MICROSOFT OFFICE. IF YOU HAVE NOT PAID, AND YOU USE THIS SERIAL, YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW.

-removed- -- This is an upgrade serial for 12.1 only. I believe that the re-issuing of a serial number is what has caused office to act up. I think that the new serial was not input into office properly. This is just my theory, though.

14. burro macrumors member

15. liaapalermo macrumors newbie

word isnt working

I have a MacBook Pro 13 inch. About a month ago i downloaded office mac 2008. Every application is working except for Microsoft Word.. I will double click it and a small box comes up and says :
    "Microsoft Word Quit Unexpectedly
    Click Reopen to open the application again. This report will be sent to Apple automatically.
    >Comments
    (Show Details) (OK) (Reopen)"

ive clicked on all three buttons when it popped up(showdetails, ok , and reopen) and it does nothing..

how can i fix this

16. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Where did you download Office from?

Are you up-to-date with Office service packs? The latest version of Office 2008 is, as of this writing, 12.2.3. You can check this in the other Office apps. If you're not updated, download the latest and greatest and see if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't work, I'd first try uninstalling Office (there's an Uninstall Office app in your Office folder) and reinstalling it, then running the updates.

And if that doesn't work, then I'd call tech support. You get two free calls to tech support with your legal purchase of Office 2008; you can get the number for tech support for your region here.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

17. ilivethebrand macrumors newbie

Office 2008 fix

I could not get my office 2008 to work after I did an update. I contacted tech support and this information they gave helped. Its long but it worked.

Regarding your email stating that you cannot install the Office programs without getting a prompt for the set up assistant, unfortunately what we are looking at is a complete reinstall of the software. There may be an issue with the install of the program. It may not have copied files from the disk properly or something is blocking the install on this Mac profile. Make sure you have your disk and key Code.

What we will do is uninstall Office then reinstall and update in a shift Boot in a new Profile.

If you use Entourage for your email, please follow the steps below to create a back up your Entourage data. If you do not use Entourage, follow the steps to fully remove and reinstall Microsoft Office 2008.

Create a Backup of the Database

1. Follow this path - Open the MacIntosh HardDrive/Users folder/HomeUser folder/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/.

2. Click on the Office 2008 Identities folder to highlight it. Then select the Main Identity.

3. Click on Edit, choose Copy

4. Click on an empty space on the Mac Desktop, click on Edit again in the Menu bar, and choose Paste.

5. This will place a copy of your Main Identity on the Mac Desktop.

PLEASE NOTE: Removing the software will also remove any customized preferences that you have set up in any of the Office 2008 Applications.

To Uninstall, follow the steps below:

- Open the Microsoft Office 2008 folder in your Applications folder.

- Open the Additions Tools Folder

- Double click on the Remove Office folder.

- Double click on the Remove Office file.

- Click on Continue, and follow the steps to uninstall.

Remove Preferences

1. Click on the Hard Drive

2. Click on Users

3. Click on the folder with your user name (House Symbol)

4. Click on Library

5. Click on Preferences

6. Drag all the com.microsoft files to the trash

7. Drag the Microsoft folder to the trash

Check for the Normal template file

1. Click on the Hard Drive

2. Click on Users

3. Click on the folder with your user name (House Symbol)

4. Click on Library

5. Click on Application Support

6. Click on the Microsoft Folder and drag to trash

Empty the Trash

To create a New Mac User account:

- Click on the Apple in the upper left hand corner

- Choose System Preferences

- Click on Accounts under 'System'

- Click on the Lock to authenticate

- Click on the + plus sign directly above the lock

- Create an account, name it Test, it will not be necessary to set a password on the account, but do check mark the option to ' Allow user to administer this computer'. Create the account

- Close all screens.

Fully shutdown the Mac

- Hold down the Shift Key on the Keyboard with starting the Mac

- Continue to hold the Shift Key down until it comes to the Login screen

- Login to the Test account again

- Install the software and try to do the updates.

Restart the Mac and log back into your user. You will then go to the Applications folder and open the Office 2008 Folder. Double click Word and do the set up. Double click on Word again. When it open do a Control Click on the icon and select Keep in Dock

18. ButchVA macrumors newbie

Here's a MUCH more elegant solution...

Instead of slogging through the 36 (approximately) steps above, simply un-install EVERY Microsoft application on your Mac, then go to www.openoffice.org and download Open Office for your Mac OS version.

I just bought a new Mac Pro desktop machine, and stupidly paid Apple and Microsoft extra money for Office 2008 on it. After beating my head against the wall, and ripping out major clumps of hair, I finally just gave up. Microsoft is simply incapable of writing software that, unlike Apple's, just works. It just doesn't. It's quirky, buggy, and irritating as all creation. I'm through with them. I've uninstalled all of their useless products and am now using, quite happily, Open Office with not bug, quirk, or hiccup one.

Do yourselves a favor and tell Microsoft to pound sand. They richly deserve it.

Butch

19. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Very true.

20. ButchVA macrumors newbie

Mine came pre-loaded on the HD from Apple, Inc. of Cupertino, California. Is that legit enough? And it still doesn't work.

B

21. hallam macrumors newbie

Even if it was not legit software that was the issue then Microsoft should be reporting that as the issue and allowing people to enter the correct key. I have three keys here, all legit but how do I know which one was used on the previous machine that died?

Accusing people of piracy is just the sort of jerkface response some people give with what is obviously a configuration error on the part of Microsoft. It is utterly disgusting that they have not fixed it.