Office 2008: Word

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kennied, Mar 18, 2008.

1. kennied macrumors newbie

I have a problem. When using Word, I would like the text to look like a page out of a book - that the "ends" of the document are "straight", if you know what I mean.

The justify option allows this, but I cant seem to find out how to, instead of moving a long word down a line, and increasing the space between the words, just divide the word with a "-"?

Let me demonstrate:

instead of:

bla(.....)blaaaaabla(....)bla(.....)bla
    blaaaaa(..)blaaa(..)bla(..)bla(..)blaa

I want:

blaa blaaaa blaa blaaa bla bla-
    aa blaa blaaa bla bla bla blaaa

... I hope you understand my problem :)

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No idea. Surely there's an option under the PREFERNCES window. :confused:

When I write something important, I use LaTeX, which does this automatically. Also, all my documents look better, and I can make sure that 2 words are kept together rather than going to the next line.

Example Sentence: The dog jumped into a river, and swam for 2 km.

MS Word:

"The dog jumped into a river, and swam for 2
    km."

LaTeX:

"The dog jumped into a river, and swam for 2 km"

I can make LaTeX not skip to the next line when I use units like "km", "ft", "kg", "lbs". It looks bad when the unit of measure is separate from the number.

3. ski2moro macrumors 6502

space bar

To force it to go to the next line, use the hyphen and add a space or two (space bar) and Enter, if necessary, at the end of the line.

The space at the end of the line will keep the words spacing normal within the line.

4. hypnos tene macrumors newbie

Also search for 'hard space' and 'soft enter'. The former lets you tie words together <like 11 km>, the latter move to the next line without ending a paragraph.

I don't know the mac shortcuts for these, but under Windows it's ctrl-shift-space and shift-enter respectively. Hope that helps.

But I agree with Abstract, a good DTP program makes it all better...

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Try entering the word with the "-" and then hold the Shift and hit Enter.

You need to enter the - yourself at the end of the row and then Shift/Enter.

6. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

In Word 2004 there is a 'Hyphenation ...' option in the Tools Menu. If it is the same go to this and select automatic hyphenation