Office 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pyrotechnic, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I am into my 2nd week of owning a iMac and wasn't too sure if I would take to it, despite spending nearly £2000 on one and having never used one.

However, I am very please so far with the machine and look forward to using it even more.

I also purchased Office 2008 for Mac so that I could do my word, excel and powerpoint stuff. However, I am quite reluctant to install it as I believe it does what all widows applications do and throw files all over the show, making it harder to remove. I also think switching to a iMac and then installing M$ products is spoiling it, so I am reluctant to throw the disc in.

Do I install it or keep my iMac M$ free ?

Any advice appreciated ;)

2. faciem macrumors newbie

faciem

Go ahead and install office. it's okay.
    There was an office bug a few years ago where the program would just crash and you would lose your work. Very annoying... but it is fixed now. I don't know anyone with any problems.

Mac's version (iWork) is nice... but most people are more familiar with Office.

3. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

go ahead and install it. It will be fine! Make sure you do all the updates before you start using it. When it first came out it crashed quite often. It seems to be more stable since the recent updates.

Cheers.

4. kurosov macrumors 6502a

As you paid for it you may as well use it. I personally use iwork and neooffice though.

5. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i enjoy office 2008 very much so. about that spaces issues ppl complain about. i dont see it on mine. maybe im just not doing something they do, to get it.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I like Office, but mine has a problem, and it won't update. But it still runs.. :eek:

8. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

So do all the other M$ products, but they still leave traces behind on a Windows machine and never get rid of them totally. I suspect it will install by scattering itself everywhere.

9. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Do a little looking, there are programs that can uninstall and remove all traces of apps on a Mac. ;)

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You asked about the Mac. That is the answer that you were given.

11. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Indeed I did. However please understand that I also did say I was 2 weeks into Mac ownership and so I am not familiar with the way they work fully, I will be very soon though.

As much as the poster replied with "It comes with an unistaller" is comforting to know, my point was that it also comes with one when installing on a windows machine, it does not mean it actually works, it certainly does not on a windows machine and still leaves allsorts of rubbish behind.

So I apologise if I dont grasp this first time around, I just dont want to spoil a machine by putting something on that will spoil it. However, there seems to be enough that have said its OK, so I will look to installit. Thanks to all those who have answered my question.

12. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It comes with an uninstaller, there are also other apps to totally uninstall programs. Office is actually a quite friendly installation.

13. jklara macrumors newbie

Return 2008 for mac

I wouldn't install it. There are no macros, you can't import any of the apple apps like address book, saving files is weird- it only lets you designate one folder for save (no subfolders). I'm having real compatability issues with corrupted files. And the blogs are saying that if you uninstall it, it will take your files with it. :eek: If I were you, I would exchange it for 2004. That is what I'm going to do. It is really sub-standard. Or try NeoOffice. I grade papers and the school insists I have word or I would just switch to that. So far, it is compatible with my word perfect, doc and docx documents. I have heard some complaints about the formatting going awry but so far, in my limited use of it, so good.

14. nadyne macrumors 6502a

You're correct that VBA macros aren't supported in Office 2008. If that's important, continue to use Office 2004.

I'm not sure what you mean here. In Entourage, you can sync your calendar and contacts with iCal and Address Book. Or are you talking about something else?

When you save a file in Office 2008, it pulls up the standard Finder dialog to ask you where you want to save the file. Just as you can in any other application, you can save the file anywhere you want -- just click on the little arrow-looking button that's next to the filename box.

What kinds of problems are you having? If you can give some more details, perhaps we can get it fixed.

This is not accurate. You can save files wherever you want, and they are not deleted. The only thing that I can imagine happening that would cause anyone to think this is if you save any files in the Microsoft User Data folder that's in your Documents folder. If you save anything there, and then uninstall Office, that folder is still there. If you see that folder and then delete it because you assume that there's nothing in there that's yours, then yeah, your files that are in there will be gone. But during the uninstall process, we only delete files that are part of our installation, and so anything that you create will stay in place.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

15. jklara macrumors newbie

Hi Nadyne

1- address book: I want to be able to access and insert addresses when working on a word document. I put my addresses in the apple address book but couldn't paste entire address into word document from there or access it without going outside of word. I tried to save an address in word, but couldn't figure out how to do that. Figure I have to go out of word and actually enter the address through entourage (pain- unless there is an easier way to do that.) In WP you just click on address, add your entry, and it pastes.

2- sub-folders: when I push the arrow to save as, only the left hand side of finder shows and the default folder. So if I have ten sub-folders under "documents", I can save to documents, but I can't save to any of the sub-folders. There are no other arrows to click. I have a lot of sub-folders.

3- Corrupted files: some of my old doc files have become corrupted after I open them in word 2008. I am still saving to old word format. But... the documents are garbled nonsense (and no it is not a font issue.) When I try and put them back into word or WP they remain a mess. Fortunately, I have everything backed up. I have a macbook air- the latest version.

4- Haven't tried to uninstall Word 2008, so happy to hear I won't have any problems. On a scale from 1 to 10, I rate this program a 4. Looking to buy the old version for mac. If anyone knows a good place to buy- let me know.

Stuff I tried: I did uninstall and reinstall word and still the same issues. Posted a thread about the "save as problem" and got no replies. Absolutely, can not work through that problem. As you know, since I bought teacher version I have no support. Don't like word 2008 enough to invest another $50 in it.

In the end, no matter what I work out, without macros, word will not work for the majority of my processing needs. So far, one week in, I have found NeoOffice (donation only required to download) is much more user friendly than word 2008. It is my understanding that if I buy 2004 for mac, I can resolve some of these issues. Is there any downside to that? I teach at University and have docx patch- so that is not an issue. Thx- Naydene.

Jules.

16. icantstandMS macrumors newbie

Help with MS Excel 08

I am new to macs and recently just installed MS Office 08 on my mac book pro.

I have an annoying problem that I can't seem to fix. In Excel, when I create a chart (regardless of type), when I try to access the "chart options", i.e. by secondary clicking in the chart window, the feature is greyed out. So basically the option is there but unavailable.

I am not sure if this is just a bad bug or if there is something that I am doing incorrectly. I really need to figure this out so that i can add titles to my charts... unless there is another way to do this.

any helpful suggestions?

17. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

yea, i prefer appleworks 6 to it

18. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

office isn't sacrilegious - believe it or not :)

19. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Entourage will read from your Address Book. Open up Entourage, then go into the Preferences, then select Sync Services from the list on the right. Select which items you want to sync with Entourage. If you select to sync addresses, then they'll be copied over into Entourage, and you'll have access to them in the rest of the Office suite. Additionally, if you make any changes to them in either Entourage or Address Book, those changes will be automatically picked up by the other applications.

Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding what you mean here. Can you post a screenshot?

What version of Word did you use to create those old files? Do you get an error message when you try to open it in Word 2008, or when you close it again? Where are you seeing the corruption (that is, when you open it the next time in Word, when you send it to someone else)?

If you're referring to the Home and Student edition, you do have support for your purchase of Office. You get either two or three free calls to support with your license of it. (Sorry, I honestly can't remember how many it is.) We don't have a "teacher version", so I'm not sure what other version you might be talking about.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

20. jklara macrumors newbie

Responding to Nadyne again

Went on line to microsoft and, according to their web-site, if I bought student teacher addition, I must pay for support. Please advise where I can access the support you are talking about.
    In regards to saving files- Under finder there is a left sided menu which says devices, places, search for. To the right is a list of all the rest of the files. When I try to save as, in word 2008, I only have access to the choices on the left part of the finder screen (and the one file word 08 allows me to designate as my default folder.)
    In re: using entourage. Can I use the apple address book to sync with entourage, or am I stuck using only entourage? If I use entourage, doesn't that cripple my ability to integrate my address book with other apple applications?
    Also, Office 2008 can not open up word perfect documents or documents that contain macros, received from other parties. NeoOffice does not seem to have this problem.
    In re: corrupted files, these are documents created in Word 03 for windows. There is no error message, only garbled documents. Once again, it is not a font problem. Thank you. Jules

21. gollum macrumors regular

Office really is junk.
    Since Word 2008 is completely unusable with Spaces I was using Word 2004 recently to type up some school notes using Notebook view and it kept crashing and losing my work so I gave up and went back to my rock solid reliable Pages.
    I just discovered that all my calender and project data (7 projects) disappeared in Entourage 2008 (school stuff). (Thanks Microsoft!) Back to iCal!
    My advice would be to NOT install it, if you do just don't rely on it for anything important.

22. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I think you're reading the site wrong. After you choose your version of Office, it asks whether your version came pre-installed on your computer. If you select no (which I assume you did), then it takes you to a page with two columns on it (one for email support, one for phone support). Right there under "email support" and again under "phone support", it tells you that you get 2 no-charge support requests. So you can either click the "start email request" button, or you can call the toll-free number that's displayed there. You'll need your PID, which you can get in any Office app by going into its About box.

This is the standard Finder dialog that lets you choose where to save it. If it's not already at the folder that you want, you can navigate there in one of two ways:
    1. On the left side (where it says "places" and so on), click the folder where you want to save. For example, under "places", your "documents" folder is probably listed. If you click on that, then you'll be able to save it in there, or you can save it in any subfolder that's already there. If you want to create a new subfolder in that folder, you can click on the "new folder" button at the bottom of that Save window.
    2. At the top-ish of the screen, under the "save as" area and above the folder area, there's a drop-down menu in the middle that has a list of the folders where you have recently saved documents. Select that list and see if your folder is there.

You might want to schedule some time with the Geniuses at your friendly local Apple Store. They can walk you through some of the basics of how to interact with the operating system, such as how to save your files anywhere you want.

No, it does not. Entourage can work with your Address Book in the same manner as all other applications. So you can continue to use your Address Book the same as you are now, all you need to do is tell Entourage that you want it to use your Address Book too.

As we've covered extensively in this thread, you're correct, macros are not a part of Office 2008. Office 2008 can open documents that have macros in them, but cannot run the macros. When you try to open a document that has a macro, you get an alert telling you that Office can't run the macro, and asking what you want to do with it. You can keep the macro there, in which case you'll be able to edit the document but not do anything with the macro. Alternately, you can ask Office 2008 to remove the macro from the file.

Could you send me one of these files? PM me for my email address.

Regards,
    Nadyne.