Office 2010 DVD won't prompt for installation on Windows partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by regulusblack, Jan 12, 2011.

1. regulusblack macrumors member

I'm trying to install Office 2010 on the Windows XP partition I have. (I used Fusion.) The Office instructions say to enter the product key when prompted, but it's not prompting me. When I go to My Computer on Windows, I can't find the DVD drive at all. It does show up in Finder though. Any clue as to how to get it to install? Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

"There can be only one" like Highlanders. You need to attach the DVD drive to the VM instead of the host (Mac OS X). You can't see it in both OSes simultaneously. How you do this depends a bit on how you have your VM configured. If you see a Windows desktop (i.e. not Coherence Mode) look for an icon that looks like a CD in the bottom right of the VM Window's edge. Otherwise try within the VMWare menu.

B

3. regulusblack thread starter macrumors member

Here's a screenshot of the CD/DVD settings that came up when I clicked on the CD icon. What should I change?

Attached Files:

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Couldn't see the screenshot on the mobile site.

Before you get there the popup menu there should say something like: Connect/Disconnect CD/DVD drive. You need it connected to the VM. If you see it on the Mac OS X desktop it isn't connected to the VM, it's connected to the host.

You can also use the specify physical CD/DVD drive to force it to see your drive.

B

5. regulusblack thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thank you! It's installing now.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Great! Thanks for letting us know.

B