Office 2010 on parallels desktop?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iClive, Jul 19, 2012.

1. iClive macrumors regular

Have Parallels Desktop on MacBook air running 32bit Windows 7.

Installation was a breeze and Windows VM works seamlessly.

The main reason for putting this on the Mac (the shame I know!) is because I have lots of documents in Publisher format which are not supported by any Mac programs. BUT, when I try to install Office 2010 (32bit), I get an error message saying that setup.exe is not a valid 32 bit program. :confused:

There's nothing wrong with the CD as it runs up normally when on a dedicated Windows box.

Any ideas or help gratefully received.

2. iClive thread starter macrumors regular

3. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Whats wrong with office 2011 for mac?? Save you running a virtual machine and waiting for that to start up. I know your have to buy office 2011 but its not that much and in my usage compatibility between it and office 2007/2010 has been fine.

4. iClive thread starter macrumors regular

Good question, and a very simple answer : the mac version of Office doesn't have Publisher

5. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

It kinda does, pretty much all publisher functionality is included in MS Word 2011 instead but in a different file format. You also know that Microsoft are slowly getting rid of publisher and that its not going to be a program in office 13 but added into word like on the mac.

6. iClive thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads up! :eek:

How do I read (or convert?) all my existing publisher files (.pub) with Mac Office?

7. iClive thread starter macrumors regular

Solved!

I had an idea and it worked :)

I copied the DVD into the Windows mounted C: drive, which resulted in a folder called OFFICE14. Back to Windows and ran setup.exe from there and everything was sweetness and light. Weird but it worked.