Office 2010: WTH!!!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by str1f3, Apr 29, 2009.

1. str1f3 macrumors 68000

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

meh, I'm sure the Mac BU will cook up something worse for Office 2011.

4. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

First off, that is Office 2010 for PC (obviously). If 2008 vs. 2007 is any indication, the products will look and behave completely differently. The Mac version will in all likelihood try to be more "mac-ish", but will ultimately fall far short and will hopefully suck a little less than 2008. I am keeping my fingers crossed, though! Please, please, surprise me!

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Personally, I hope the MacBU brings the ribbon to the Mac version. Using 2007 at work, and 2008 at home is horrible with the UI differences. They should be similar, although, not that hideous. 2007's UI isn't all that bad.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Can we have a menu-based Intel version with VBA first please?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I guess ... since I make all the decisions and all.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

while we're at it, can you just make a program that works and doesnt keep quitting on me?!?!

9. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Remember, it's not done. MS made a lot of changes to the UI of Office 2007 before release. It had a slate theme IIRC. I wouldn't pass judgement until it's actually done.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No. That's something I will not do.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

damn i was hoping for some good changes, your just as bad as the rest of them :p at least ur coool!

12. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Agreed. Personally I think the ribbon is kind of nice. Oh, and they should really try to attempt to include all the features of the PC version. I am sick of having Excel not able to do half of the stuff the PC version can do!

Oh, and to comment on the screenshot - why in the bloody hell is everything so bright? I hope this is the result of some sort of theme going on that makes everything whiter. Personally I like my windows (in Windows) dark. And so does Microsoft. Just look at the icons in the taskbar in Win7 (they are all white on black). I am thinking everything being this white would be too weird for me...

13. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I would agree. After using Office 07 for an extended period of time you really get used to the ribbon. I wish they could bring it to the Mac version, although obviously it should be usable first.

The 2010 UI sounds like a bit of a mess but maybe with some more polish it could look better.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Noticed that too. It's probably the user's settings.

15. str1f3 thread starter macrumors 68000

MacBU has said that they won't import the ribbon interface into mac office and I think it's a good idea. The ribbon interface sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of OSX. It wouldn't be as serious a flaw as what Office 2010 currently looks like but it wouldn't fit in. Personally I prefer the mac version visually even though I use 2007.

I used Office through boot camp but my time may be coming to an end. Office for Windows seems to be getting updates just for the sake of charging customers a recurring price and all the while it gets ever more bloated with useless features. Office seems to have peaked at 2003/2004. Hopefully MacBU will put out a better product.

16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It's completely a theme and their choice of background image. The other screen shots look just like Office 07.

What's the problem? We've known for two years that the "Ribbon UI" was coming to Outlook and Access.

And like the site says this is an alpha.

Paul Thurrott posted pictures of Office 2010 weeks ago. Here:

Attached Files:

17. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

the menu UI looks nice

but the colors and graphical interface is UGLYYY!!!!!

im staying with 08 for now i guess.

i only wish that the mac MS office was more of a 2007 feeling, i dont like the current 2008. either that i'll go to iworks 2010 or whatever they do

18. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

I was making no comments one way or the other on the ribbon itself. Not going to say whether it should or should not be used. Just commenting that the visual design in the screenshot goes against everything that Windows 7 is trying to look like by default, but it seems evident that this is just a user customization, so no big deal!

19. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

Office 2010 will be the first version of MS Office, that will have a 64-bit version (finally).

Hope, that we slowly get the new applications written for 64-bit OS.

20. beg_ne macrumors 6502

Jeez, what a sad example that is. I could launch every app in my Dock, combine all the UI elements and still have something that has less clutter than THAT.

Seriously, all that garbage just to read email?

21. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Code freeze for Office was supposed to be late April. So unless the date got pushed back, it's done. However the post doesn't say how old or what build those screenshots are.

22. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I've got that version of Office 2008. ;) Never crashes.