Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpeedRacerx89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Michigan
I recently acquired Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 (It was free thru work). I wanted to use Excel for my engineering class, but I need the Data Analysis Toolpack. From what I can tell there isn't a "real" one available comparable to PC version. The only one I could find is this:
http://www.analystsoft.com/en/products/statplusmacle/
Has anyone used this before? Or is there a better one available?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I recently acquired Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 (It was free thru work). I wanted to use Excel for my engineering class, but I need the Data Analysis Toolpack. From what I can tell there isn't a "real" one available comparable to PC version. The only one I could find is this:
http://www.analystsoft.com/en/products/statplusmacle/
Has anyone used this before? Or is there a better one available?

That version is *really* bare bones, and really not suitable for real statistical analysis.

And, yes, that same company offers a much more powerful add-in, the StatPlus:mac product, and they have student/university pricing. Check with your university - they may have an additional license, or be willing to get a university license if there's enough demand for it. Your company might pay for a student license for you - I would pay for a license for one of my employees. AnalystSoft has provided excellent support for their products - I'm not a shill for them, just a happy customer who wished for something like this when I was taking engineering and statistics courses 22 years ago...

And, you'll want to make sure your Office suite is updated too. QED.

SpeedRacerx89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Michigan
Does this NAIL the answer on the head for you?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2431349

If so, come back and thank me profusely.

-Sorry, not really. But I appreciate the effort.

That version is *really* bare bones, and really not suitable for real statistical analysis.

And, yes, that same company offers a much more powerful add-in, the StatPlus:mac product, and they have student/university pricing. Check with your university - they may have an additional license, or be willing to get a university license if there's enough demand for it. Your company might pay for a student license for you - I would pay for a license for one of my employees. AnalystSoft has provided excellent support for their products - I'm not a shill for them, just a happy customer who wished for something like this when I was taking engineering and statistics courses 22 years ago...

And, you'll want to make sure your Office suite is updated too. QED.

-Thanks campyguy. I AM a new MAC user, so I'm still getting used to the OS. I believe I installed the software correctly, but I haven't been able to "use" it at all, or figure out for sure how it's supposed to work. My Excel is at the newest update possible as well. From what I can tell, this AnalystSoft doesn't actually get added INTO Excels Add-In tab or Data tab, like PC versions of data analysis? When I read the instructions provided, it reads as though I select my data from Excel and then "open" AnalystSoft program. When I try this, either I am doing it wrong, or it just is not working. Sorry for this long reply, it's kind of hard to explain...

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
-Thanks campyguy. I AM a new MAC user, so I'm still getting used to the OS. I believe I installed the software correctly, but I haven't been able to "use" it at all, or figure out for sure how it's supposed to work. My Excel is at the newest update possible as well. From what I can tell, this AnalystSoft doesn't actually get added INTO Excels Add-In tab or Data tab, like PC versions of data analysis? When I read the instructions provided, it reads as though I select my data from Excel and then "open" AnalystSoft program. When I try this, either I am doing it wrong, or it just is not working. Sorry for this long reply, it's kind of hard to explain...
Ah, welcome to the limited world of the Mac version of Excel. Sorry for the delay, we've been dealing with nasty windy weather here related to that storm hitting NA - it's not as cold but the 40-60 MPH winds are wreaking havoc. I see you're in Michigan - I have been to MI in Dec/Jan, and it was fun (and cold!). OK, done whining.

MS has a different architecture for running "extensions" - add-ins, etc. - they eliminated a lot of functionality in Office 2011 to "extend" the Office suite applications. I'll spare you the details. AnalystSoft came up with a pretty slick workaround - and it actually is a far-more stable solution than running an in-application add-in.

What one needs to do with StatPlus is run it alongside Excel - and you do your analysis in StatPlus on the open Excel documents. Don't open Excel initially - opening StatPlus opens Excel in the background. There's a couple of short YouTube videos I've bookmarked that illustrate the basic principle of getting your work done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6vkcD_bvJM
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr1MZfuZIdg (skip to about 50 seconds)

They're both running LE in those videos, but you'll get the idea of how to get started. Keep in mind that they're statisticians who wrote software which performs statistical analysis alongside a workbook/spreadsheet application. Yikes! I'm an engineer, but also have technical and creative writing experience - their instructions gave me chills initially. The videos will help, I'm sure, moreso than my writing a short missive. Check out the other two videos by Richard Glover - they're helpful as well! Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.