Office 2011 Beta 5 not Installation Fail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oshachal, Aug 3, 2010.

1. oshachal macrumors newbie

I'm trying to install Office 2011 Beta 5 on my MacBook Pro 10.6.4 and I'm getting a "The Installation Failed" message. Any ideas?

Here's what the log says:

Aug 3 10:25:43 MacName installd[16340]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
    Aug 3 10:31:40 MacName installd[16340]: PackageKit: Install Failed: PKG: post-flight scripts for "com.microsoft.office.en.communicator.pkg.14.0.0"\nError Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 UserInfo=0x1035db8f0 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Office2011_en_communicator.pkg”." {\n NSFilePath = "./postflight";\n NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cOffice2011_en_communicator.pkg\U201d.";\n NSURL = "./Contents/Packages/Office2011_en_communicator.pkg -- file://localhost/Volumes/Microsoft%20Office%202011/Office%20Installer.mpkg/";\n PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "com.microsoft.office.en.communicator.pkg.14.0.0";\n}
    Aug 3 10:31:41 MacName Installer[16326]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
    Aug 3 10:31:41 MacName Installer[16326]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
    Aug 3 10:31:41 MacName Installer[16326]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

Thanks.

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

If you're a member of the beta programme, you should post your question to the correct place, which isn't here. All members of the beta programme were given a link for where they should ask questions and submit bugs.

If you've acquired the beta under (ahem) less than savoury circumstances, you're pretty much on your own.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

3. KirkL macrumors 6502

Is the beta out for public use? I couldn't find a link on the Mactopia website :(

4. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Not at all. Closed beta.

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Last I heard is there would be no public beta.

6. KirkL macrumors 6502

Oh okay

:( Oh well...at least they'll release a trial of some sort...hopefully

7. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Yes, we'll release a trial version. We have one now for Office:Mac 2008, and we'll have one for Office:Mac 2011.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

8. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

Thanks for calling this out.

9. violence macrumors member

Or, hey, maybe somebody will just answer the question on here. Telling this person they're on their own on a public forum is like a citizen's arrest.

edit
    I have no idea on how to answer the initial question

10. KirkL macrumors 6502

Awesome. Thanks!

How so? The OP likely got it from illegal means...plus it's a Beta version. If he were an official tester he could have posted it on the MS site and filed a Bug Report.

11. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

OT I know, but does anyone (Nadyne, I'm thinking of you) know if you can completely hide the rectangular buttons under the window title bar yet? I've tried to find a way to do this in Office2008 but it doesn't seem possible. The pill on the right is there but all it does is change the window size by one pixel.

I'm sure there's lots of cool stuff going to be added to this area and, if you would allow me to have a full height view when I want it, I don't mind this extra functionality. Of course if you allowed it all to sit in a palette on one side of the screen I might even keep it open all the time!

If anyone can answer, thanks!

12. nadyne macrumors 6502a

In Office 2008, it's not possible to get rid of the rectangular buttons. In Office:Mac 2011, it is possible to get rid of the Ribbon.

You know, the palette thing is interesting. It's an obvious solution -- my screen is much wider than it is tall, so shouldn't stuff go off to the side? But it turns out that this doesn't necessarily work very well. Stuff off to the side tends to just get lost, especially when you have lots of different windows open. We've found that putting things in a palette off to the side results in people never being able to find anything. We've minimised the amount of vertical screen real estate that we take up, and we've provided the option to complete hide it if you want too (which is especially useful when you're doing some heavy-dut work in Excel and just want to see as big of a grid as possible). Give it a go when we release later this year, you might find that you like it better than you might think. :)

Regards,
    Nadyne.