Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gaviotica2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Hi to all,
My old Win laptop died and I'm considering to buy a MBP, I am a freelance translator so my laptop is my main work tool but I am worried for the compatibility issues with word documents created on the Office for Mac: I've been told that they look different on Windows PCs, and this would be a serious issue for me, since I can't turn in a translation converted into PDF: Word document is what all my clients use.
Also, most of the documents I have to translate need to have tables, textboxes, and even some images in the background, and some of them use Macros too.
Has anyone started working with Office 2011 yet? (the seller at MacStore told me that the compatibility issues were mostly gone) Any big compatibility issues so far? I would totally love a Mac, but if compatibility issues are too big it would definitely be a very big problem for me :(

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi to all,
My old Win laptop died and I'm considering to buy a MBP, I am a freelance translator so my laptop is my main work tool but I am worried for the compatibility issues with word documents created on the Office for Mac: I've been told that they look different on Windows PCs, and this would be a serious issue for me, since I can't turn in a translation converted into PDF: Word document is what all my clients use.
Also, most of the documents I have to translate need to have tables, textboxes, and even some images in the background, and some of them use Macros too.
Has anyone started working with Office 2011 yet? (the seller at MacStore told me that the compatibility issues were mostly gone) Any big compatibility issues so far? I would totally love a Mac, but if compatibility issues are too big it would definitely be a very big problem for me :(
I've never heard of it and I've been using office for mac for 3 years now. A properly formatted document doesn't change at all?

Gaviotica2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Thank you for your reply.
I work for an agency and they told me that one of the other translators they work with has a Mac and that sometimes the word documents she delivers just look completely different on a Windows PC (usually documents with a lot of Macros or tables)... I commented this on the MacStore today when I went browsing for a MBP and he told me that this issue will most likely be resolved with the new Office 2011, but I still worry I would get complaints regarding formatting.
I also don't know if it would be a good idea to run Office 2007 using Parallels instead of the Office for Mac, I don't know if that would eat up a lot of memory though: I would buy a 13" MBP with 4GB of RAM.

Apple NZ

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2010
New Zealand
Office for Mac 2011 is fully compatible with Office for Windows. So documents will look the same between operating systems (unless you are using older versions e.g Office 2003 some features may not work).

If you use iWork though, you are more likely to see compatibility issues.

Office for Mac is perfectly fine so I wouldn't recommend running Parallels just to get Office 2007.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.