Office 2011 for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by paboynca, Mar 15, 2011.

1. paboynca macrumors newbie

I have the 2011 Office Suite for my new iMac. I work on a PC at work. So, if I email myself a Excel file from work to home, open it in my Outlook on my Mac, save it to my desktop, it won't open....says its corrupt. What am I doing wrong? All the files I send from my Outlook on my work PC come over to my home Outlook on my Mac as windat files. HELP :mad:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Either you have some kind of weird formatting issue that OS X doesn't understand or Outlook is corrupting the file... assuming you save it as .xls or .xlsx .

3. vintageapple macrumors member

vintageapple

try saving it as a different extension, one compatible.

4. paboynca thread starter macrumors newbie

Corrupt?

The .xlsx file from my pc comes over to my mac outlook as a winmail.dat file. I tried to save the file as .xlsx but Excel says its corrupt. It does this all the time, not randomly.

5. slowtraveler macrumors member

This problem may be caused by sending emails from your office PC's Outlook client in Rich Text Format (RTF) rather than as plain text. Use of RTF in Outlook can affect file attachments, rendering them unreadable by the recipient.

Google "winmail.dat" and hit a few of the most popular links for more info.

Cheers!

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The windat problem is a known issue with attachments sent from Outlook:win. This problem has vexed users of non-Microsoft email clients for more than a decade. However, this is the first I ever heard of this problem's being manifest by a recipient using a Microsoft email client. It is particularly puzzling that you are having problems with an attached Microsoft-format file. If you were using Mail, then you could use TNEF's Enough/Letter Opener to deal with it. However, I am aware of no solution for Outlook, Outlook Express, or Entourage.

7. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I do agree that this is a rich-text file issue; however

Some questions:
    Are you saving an EMAIL or an Email with an attachment?
    If its an email, is the icon an envelope or an envelope with an arrow (a shortcut)?
    Does your work have Enterprise Vault in use? ^ see hint above.
    most likely if they're and your dragging an email to the usb/dvd and then home its not readable - since you broke a link in Outlook on the PC. If this is the case you'll need to open the full email first.