Office 2011: how to add .olk14note files to Outlook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr_Brightside_@, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Hi all,

I've recovered some .olk14 note files that I'd like to add to Outlook. At one point, I was able to double click them and open them in outlook, though they wouldn't 'save' to Outlook. Now, when I attempt to open them it says the files are not associated with the default identity and won't open them whatsoever.

Is there an easy way to a), open them again, or b), permanently save them to Outlook?

Thanks!

2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

There no option to import the .olk files.

Your best option is to rebuild the Identity that contains the notes files then export as .olm into your new Identity.

HOWEVER... Rebuilding Outlook is a horrible process for many users. There are unofficial methods you might could use, but a bit complicated to explain.

Without knowing the amount of free space, your OS X and size of Data Records folder I wouldn't know what to suggest.

3. JA007 macrumors newbie

I'm having a similar problem. I backed up all of my contacts to an external hard drive and now can not import them onto my new macbook air. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

4. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I think I solved my issue, but my original question was on behalf of an issue I was having with a client's computer, so I'm not 100% positive it's the right fix, but it seemed to be to me.

Anyway.

I had used migration assistant to import data from a failed drive, which was largely successful. However, we were missing the notes from Outlook, which I was able to manually copy from the failed drive. I copied those into the location in the screenshot attached. At first, those weren't appearing in Outlook (even after rebuilding the main identity), which is why I asked my original question.

Since then, after further research and tweaking, I used Outlook's Export function (found in the File menu) and exported all the Outlook data to an .olm file. I then re-imported this exact file, and the Notes (and Contacts, for that matter) reappeared. So, using Export would be my suggestion. Good luck!

Attached Files: