Office:2011 intel base only?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LibertySand, Feb 2, 2011.

1. LibertySand macrumors newbie

LibertySand

I've searched forums and called Microsoft about this and all I get is....can I get your Order Number?

I realize that some new Software is made for Intel only users and I will have to upgrade to a new Intel mac someday but I can't right now. I have a Power PC Mac Pro with Leopard. I need Office for Power Point and EXcell. I currently have nothing. My work ordered Outlook 2011 for me and I have found that I wont be able to run the program when I get it in my hands.

I had the same problem with CS5 (intel based only) but Adobe was kind enough to give me a Key to degrade to CS4. (which I am now using CS4 on my power pc mac)

Here's the question...

Can I still use the Office:2011 purchased and get a Serial Key or something that will degrade the version to Office:2010/08 so that it will run on my Power PC?

2. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

3. LibertySand thread starter macrumors newbie

LibertySand

I have, talked to 6 different people, each person stupider than the other. I was transfered numerous times with "Well if you can tell me what your serial number is I can further assist you" as a cop out. I just want a Yes or No, can you degrade my version. Eff Microsoft!

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Did you tell them your serial number so that they may further assist you?

5. Meyvn macrumors 6502

If you have a Mac Pro, that's Intel-based. Are you sure you have one? Do you have a PowerMac, maybe?

And yeah, unfortunately, you're going to have to do one of a couple things:

1. Call MS again.
    2. Use alternative software. (OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice are a couple free ones; iWork is a great pay one).
    3. Pirate 2004/2008.

We can't do anything here to help you other than listen to your problems. We cannot give you access to a free version of Office.

Also, keep in mind, there is no Outlook 2004/2008. Entourage was the Office: Mac email client pre-2011. So if you need Outlook-specific features that other mail/calendar/contacts clients cannot use, you're out of luck with a PowerPC-based machine.

6. LibertySand thread starter macrumors newbie

LibertySand

My company ordered it and Im still waiting for the delivery of it. So no, no serial number. Can they still tell me yes or no? Yes they should be able to tell me.

My company ordered Office:2011 for my mac before I found out it only works on Intel based machines. As some may know now, I am going to have a field day telling them we have to send it back and get an older version. (then having to explain in non-nerd terms why I cant use it resulting in me repeating to just send it back and order me Office:2008)

Sorry, I meant to say Power PC for my G5. Im not looking for a freebee version. Just wanting to know if Office:2011 is degradable from it's original version to Office:2008 for a MAC so that I dont have to send my hardcopy back for an older version rather than just entering in some numbers and "Presto" I get an older version. Adobe did it, can't Microsoft?

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

After using Office 2011 on Intel, I am considering moving back to Mail / iCal / Address Book. It really didn't offer anything more other than a single interface for all those functions. I think the pre-installed free Apps are better because they are third-party friendly. Tons of widgets and apps use the iCal and Address book repositories. Extensions to Mail are available too. It won't be a big loss to give up Office 2011 on your PowerPC Mac.

paid (Outlook 2011) < free (Mail / iCal / Address).

Use Open Office for the other stuff.

8. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

If you're buying Office just to get Outlook, you're probably going to be disappointed. However, for power users - particularly people who work with corporate users and exchange Word, Excel and Powerpoint files, Office 2011 is fantastic. IMHO.

As for the OP, do you work for a large corporation that has an enterprise license agreement for Microsoft products? If so, you should have no problem getting a downgrade license. If you have a retail product, you may have a much more difficult time getting a downgrade license. You might be able to get a straight answer from contacting Office for Mac on twitter: @officeformac.

9. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

no they can't. i mean, i'm not even sure how Adobe was able to change the software architecture from CS5 to CS4 with just a serial swap.

tell your work to order Office 2008 for you if that's what you need. once they get 2011 just return it without opening the package :confused: i mean, surely this isn't the first time a wrong order has occurred.

10. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

For my PPC Macs, I greatly prefer 2004 over 2008, and for my Intel Macs I use both 2004 and 2011. No 2008 for me (yay).

11. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

Just have your company return 2011 to the vendor (don't open it when you receive it!) and have them buy a copy of 2008.

12. runofthedill macrumors member

if anyone needs a liscence, i have one extra im trying to sell. Hope you solve your problem though, check my sig.