Office 2011 License Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ugahairydawgs, Jan 10, 2012.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If I get a copy of the 1 Mac edition of Office 11 S&T can two user accounts on the same Mac have access to the software?

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Yes. The license is per machine, so as long as its installed on the one machine, as many users of that machine can use it.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sure, its licensed on the machine, not per user.

4. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Interestingly enough, the packaging does indicate 1 Mac, 1 User, right on top. I'd post a picture if I had one handy, I've installed a bunch of copies recently. However, there's of course no technical limitation to enforce that, nor would I find the OP's intent to be invalid. Microsoft seems to think that it's valid for them to claim that only 1 person can use it, however, it seems.

jW

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just read through the license agreement and while I could have missed it, there does not seem any limitation being set on number of users - just the number of devices it can be used on.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I haven't read the license agreement, and I'm not disputing that. It's simply a small sticker on the front of the box. I find it quite amusing actually.

jW

8. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Got the box sitting on my desk here with me and it does say 1 User | 1 Mac, which was the basis for my question. Wanted to make sure it wouldn't turn back into a pumpkin if we tried to open Word in the alternate user account.

I have no problem thumbing my nose at the 1 user policy that MS has put in here as long as there are no technical limitations that come into play after activation.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Go for it. They won't know, and it'll work great.

jW

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it does seem ludicrous to limit the usage that much, but then we are talking about Microsoft :p