Office 2011 & Lion, Compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Pndrgnsvc, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

I have seen a few reports re Office 2011 & Lion indicating that Outlook still has (several) compatibility issues to resolve.

But do Word, Excel, and PowerPoint issues linger?

Tips re installing Office 2011 on a Lion volume most welcome.

2. skillwill macrumors regular

Word, PP and Excel work perfectly for me ... didn't need to reinstall them or do anything. Have no idea about Outlook. Oh and also as yet I don't believe any of the office programmes work with auto save and versions

3. lomby macrumors regular

check this site here for compatibly. This site has compatibility info for nearly everthing:D

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

While Office 2011 runs on Lion, it isn't exactly stable. It has problems respecting the assigned desktop (doesn't always happen), Communicator crashes all the time when I try to call someone, Word sometimes pauses when clicking on hyperlinks inside a document. Outlook works ok apart from a display issue where items in conversation view appear in bold even if they are read...
    PowerPoint works ok but it doesn't respect its assigned desktop.
    Microsoft needs to update the office apps ASAP for Lion compatibility.

5. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I've noticed no issues with Office at all with Lion. I use Office just for my Exchange account and everything seems to work fine this far. Apps even open pretty fast.

6. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

7. Pndrgnsvc thread starter macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

Many thanks to you all. Much good info and 'tis greatly appreciated.

Should additional suggestions surface, those too will be welcomed.

8. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

On the other side of the fence, the demos that involved Pages running on Lion must be a newer release because the current iWork '09 applications do no take advantage of versions etc. From what I understand iWork '09 and previous releases used their own in house technologies where as in the later builds they must have moved away from those custom written libraries in favour of using the ones built into the operating system.

I have a feeling that things are going to get rocky for Office given that many of the API's Office relied are being replaced - Messenger/Communicator will need to be re-written to take advantage of AV Foundation and the new camera API as one example - then people will also demand greater integration with versions and auto-recover etc. It will be interesting to see how Microsoft responds to these requests and whether they'll finally bite the bullet and re-write Word, Excel and PowerPoint from the ground up using Cocoa and the new API's.

9. Ragnar-Kon macrumors member

Office 2011 was running horribly for me at first. Then I updated it to Office 2011 Service Pack 1 (which I was neglecting to do for quite some time), and everything started working fine.

Granted it still runs poorly and is a complete resource hog on Mac, but it runs just as well as it did with Snow Leopard.

I just hope the new version of iWork is released soon...

10. MichaelVain macrumors newbie

OS Lion and Product Registration Key for Office 2011

I was using Outlook today and tried to click an attachment that would open in Word. All of a sudden I got the screen asking for my product key registration. It was as if MS office completely forgot who I was.

I couldn't find my product key so I was forced to buy a new one.

I entered the new one. Then I restarted my macbook pro about 30 minutes later. When I opened Outlook, it again asked for my product registration key.

I entered it again. It's so strange.

So far Office has been fine..but i had to buy a new copy since I couldn't find my original Office 2011 DVD's. :(

11. splizaat macrumors member

Kind of curious if i'm the only problem having this issue with excel.

I open an excel file and all the sudden it keeps telling me "File XXX.xslx is already open" even tho it's not....

12. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I have had no trouble with Word and Excel in the past few weeks on the GM. I don't use any other part of Office.

13. SteveJUK macrumors newbie

No problems here - all Office 2011 Apps work fine.

Just waiting for MS to include a native Lion full screen mode ;)

14. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

I don't use Outlook <Shudder>, but Word, Powerpoint and Excel all work fine for me.

15. iBunny macrumors 65816

Without Outlook, I would fail at work. Not sure why you shudder at it?

Edit: I dont use Outlook for the Mac however... I prefer Mail and iCal, but at work in my Windows Enviroment, Outlook is a Godsend in an Enterprise Network.

16. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Eight years of being forced to use it at a corporate ...

17. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Call Microsoft & explain what's happened, they'll refund you.