Office 2011/Lion/Wi-Fi Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ross23456, Aug 2, 2011.

1. ross23456 macrumors newbie

I'm officially in Microsoft hell, and would appreciate any ideas. Just installed Lion on my two Macs (an iMac desktop and MacBook), and upgraded to Office 2011 on both machines (up from 2008). Most of my work is done on the MacBook, and saved via home Wi-Fi to the iMac.

At least that's how it HAS worked, seamlessly, with Office 2008 and Snow Leopard. From the MacBook, Office 2011 won't open any of the documents stored on the iMac, or let me save directly from Office to the iMac wirelessly. When I try to open a document, I get the error message: "Word [or Excel] cannot open this document. The document might be in use, the document might not be a valid Word document, or the file name might contain invalid characters"...none of which is true.

The Wi-Fi checks out OK; I can copy documents from one computer to the other when I'm not in Office. I tried hashing this out with Microsoft, but their reasoning is since I'm on a network (even a home Wi-Fi), I'm considered "commercial," and they want $259 for tech support! Absurd.

Is this a Lion vs. Office thing? Any insights or ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Testing in a new User will quickly tell you if the problem is system wide or if it's your User's folder that contains the problem. This will help determine if there are issues after the upgrade to Lion in your User's folder.

See if you can save files created in the new User and open on other computer.

I haven't seen this reported on Microsoft Answers but I pretty much stay in the Getting Started, Outlook and Entourage forums. I suggest asking on the Word forum.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macword