Office 2011 on multiple Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pagemakers, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

If I purchase the single user business edition of Office 2011 will it install on 2 Macs?

I know the licence is for 1 but WILL it install and work on 2?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You can install it, but because you are only given 1 activation number, you will not be able to activate it (Microsoft knows).

3. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Hmmm

On the 2008 edition you could use the same licence key on multiple machines and it worked. Was just wondering if 2011 was the same?

4. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

5. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Facepalm...

And people wonder why pirate software is so attractive, with tactics like this Microsoft are basically encouraging multi-Mac households to pirate their software.

I was going to buy Office 2011 the minute it was announced but I'm glad I checked the licencing conditions before I did. They've lost my business and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one who has reconsidered. My choice is to spend far more legitimately licencing every Mac I own (far in excess than the cost of Office 2008) or skipping it entirely. I'll opt for the latter.

As always the honest customer is inconvenienced and piracy flourishes as a result. I really don't think that people are going to suddenly start paying 2-3x more for Office due to draconian licencing conditions, they'll just nip over to their nearest P2P site instead and end up paying nothing.

6. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Couldn’t agree more.

I have 3 Macs in my house. I want the business edition and I’m buggered if I’m going to buy it twice.

I’ll stick with 2008.

Nobody wins!

7. cs4160 macrumors member

number of licenses on upgrade

Just bought into the mac platform. I bought office with the new imacs mid august. the only reason i bought office is because they had just recently announced their free upgrade policy otherwise i would have just waited until 2011 came out.

The student home version that i got had 3 licenses... it appears that the "free" upgrade will only apply to one license...i can only upgrade one of my computers. Can anyone confirm that?

8. KPOM macrumors G5

To be fair, they lowered the price dramatically. Office 2008 Business was $400. Office 2011 Home & Business is $200 for a single license and $280 for a two-pack.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

You have a single license that lets you install it on 3 Macs in your household. When you upgrade, you'll get a single license for the Family Pack, which also allows 3 installations on Macs in your household. Check the FAQ:

https://www.techg.arvatousa.com/OfficeMacTechG/FAQ.aspx#28

10. cs4160 macrumors member

11. DWF1 macrumors newbie

I have 2 license version 2011 Home & Business. I notice it says 1 user 2 Macs. Can I install this on mine and my wife's Mac in the same house?

12. BigBuffNav macrumors newbie

BigBuffNav

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Sure, common property. Nothing illegal about that.