Office 2013 bought on eBay?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spikeyjac, Mar 18, 2015.

1. spikeyjac macrumors regular

Hi guys.
    Just a quick question.
    Bought a 'download' copy of Office 2013 for Mac Business on eBay.
    The seller sent me a link to onedrive where I downloaded what I presumed was the install file.
    I installed office and it installed absolutely fine, however, nowhere did it ask for a product key?
    I'm thinking that it might be a spurious copy?
    Can anybody shine any light on it at all?
    Thanks,
    Jack!

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

3. spikeyjac thread starter macrumors regular

So apparently, I've bought a volume licensed version :(

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I have no idea what you were sold there but there is no such thing as 'Office 2013 for Mac.' The latest current Mac version of Office is 2011.

5. DarthVader! macrumors member

DarthVader!

Some business software does not prompt you for a serial number or activation.
    There is no way to tell if you have a pirated version, I guess you need to go off the track record of the seller.

6. spikeyjac thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry - I meant 2011.
    However, if it is a volume license for another business, can this be re-sold?
    Thanks!

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

No, this is not legal. You should immediately file a complaint with eBay and attempt to get a refund.

Stick to buying your software for a reputable seller; directly from Best Buy, Amazon, NewEgg, NOT third party sellers through those outlets. Even those who send you a "key card" are often using overseas or duplicated cards that offer you no recourse if the key is deactivated.

8. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

"Ya think, DiNozzo?"

9. campyguy macrumors 68030

OP, my office and I have both Office 365 and serial-number-licensed versions of Office 365 - upon first run, you'll see a splash screen prompting for a user name and password (for Office 365 installs) and 25-digit serial number for serial-number-licensed versions. The Office 365 version is available only via your Office 365 portal.

One can buy a serial-number-license from anyone via MS, eBay, or Amazon - but, you'll be prompted for that serial number. If you weren't prompted for an SN, you've got a cracked version and who knows what else is stuffed in the DMG file (well, the cracker will know...). All official MS Office software uses either a SN or network validation method (user name and password).

The first thing I'd do is manually delete everything that was installed or restore from a backup. The second thing I'd do is file a complaint with eBay.

10. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

Yes, it sounds like what you've been sold is an extension of his business license. File a complaint with ebay. They should be quick about not tolerating it.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Let us know what happens.