Office 2013 for Windows announced - How it impacts Office for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iFanboy, Jul 16, 2012.

1. iFanboy Guest

Firstly, I came across an hour old PC World article which just nonchalantly dropped this massive bomb in its preview article for Office 2013 for Windows

What. The. ****.

Does this mean that we will see Office for Mac 2013 in Q4 2012? Sadly, it seems someone at PC World got a little over excited.

So there we have it.

We're getting an update to Office for Mac 2011 in Q4 2012, and given that it appears to port some notable features from Office 2013, I think it's not unreasonable to hope that retina compatibility is also a possibility.

2. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

I wonder if this will be the update which will mark Microsoft selling Office in the App Store then?

3. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I really hate how lackluster the support is for the Mac version of Office. I'm not holding my breath for a retina update with this. And even if it does have it, we're talking about an update that isn't happening until early next year. Fail.

4. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

That's the enlightened MS strategy, withhold your apps for Apple products, in order to convince people not to switch platforms.

Office for iPad already exists, MS just won't want to release it until office for surface arm has an exclusitivity period, or fails. By then there may be plenty "good enough" substitutes that can edit office documents. Google bought one of the best ones.

Microsoft's management is a train wreck, read the August vanity fair article.

5. Winni, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Yeah, sure. That's why Microsoft still is one of the most profitable companies on the planet. Microsoft will still be around AND successful when Apple's moment of success with iOS has long been forgotten. And do you know why? Because Microsoft knows how to treat developers and businesses. They create ecosystems while Apple creates Walled Gardens. They play well with third parties while Apple wants it all for themselves. Microsoft creates jobs for an entire industry, not just for their own retail stores. Microsoft might be boring and not the latest fashion, but that is their greatest strength: They're reliable and NOT just a fashion. Yes, there's a lot of money in fashion, as Gucci and Apple prove. I don't know about you, but for me those are places where I only spend money. I make my money in other places, and all of them use Microsoft products.

I really doubt that Microsoft's management is a train wreck.

Back on the real topic: I think I will download that preview and install it on a Windows 8 test machine and see for myself what they came up with this time. On my Mac, I don't really care for Microsoft Office. But on my Mac I also don't care for LibreOffice, iWork, Google Apps or whatever else there might be on the market because on my Mac, I do NOT need an office suite. Scrivener is all I need on my Mac from that department. But at work - that boring place where I have to go in order to put food on the table and that is dominated by Windows and Linux - Microsoft Office is an important tool and I happen to be one of the IT guys who are being paid to know their way around that stuff.

6. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

If you would have stayed with the topic instead of the silly "walled garden" meme, I would be willing to respectfully debate all these issues.

MS is implementing the "walled garden" on all windows 7 phones, all windows 8 phones and all windows 8 rt tablets. The upcoming windows app store is a walled garden too.

YADA

7. takezo808 macrumors member

Office 2013

It will look like metro. It's a downgrade and not an upgrade. It will make the detested Office 2007 look like the best productivity software made. Open office is free and pretty good.

8. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

As someone who has actually used Office 2013 instead of babbling off about s*** I don't know about. Office 2013 is in fact an upgrade from 2010. It does not look like metro. Aside from the file menu, which looks great.

9. doherrick, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

doherrick macrumors newbie

The new Office for PC info has been in the press for many months. Office for the iPad is suppose to be released at the same time.

For those interested, here is a link to a review (from March):

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/office/microsoft-office-15-preview-142569

IMHO, Office 2010 is quite good, and, if you don't like the ribbon, you can pay Microsoft about $30 to get a plug-in (?) that makes it look like Office 2003.

I spent 40+ hours a week with Word and Excel when I worked full time and still use Excel 10+ hours/week for personal financial stuff.

I do like Scrivener and use it for my personal writing. Nice that is is Mac/PC.

I do hope Apple does massive updates to Pages & Numbers because I don't want to install Windows on my Mac or purchase Office 2013 just to get a decent spreadsheet program. Although I may be temted to install windows to get One Note.

10. Jeevster macrumors member

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Sounds too conspiracy theorist to me. I mean, they're only shooting their MacOS applications sales in the foot by doing so.

12. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I think MS strategy is pushing folks to either Windows [Full Client version of Office], or Web [Office 360]. I have a feeling the Office for Mac days are numbered. Could be wrong, but based on what I've read it seems to be heading that way...

13. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

The next version of Outlook for Mac needs to add the ability to set and lock the font size when composing messages.

I have Outlook 2011 on both my iMac and my MBA. I compose in 14 pt Calibri, which looks really small on both machines. 18 or 20 is much easier on the eyes, but I don't want to have that big a font going out in my emails. I used Entourage for a long time and never had this problem. I always composed in 12 pt, but it looked much bigger in Entourage. In Outlook, 12 pt is tiny on both machines.

I can select Increase Font Size from the Format menu, but that setting applies only to the current message rather than all composed messages going forward. I don't want to change my screen resolution because that will change the size of everything.

Is there a way to permanently increase the viewing size of everything in Outlook 2011?

14. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

If so, there's always Parallels.. Works fine for me.

15. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Exactly; any of the VM solutions [Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox] would suffice.

16. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I feel that Office makes more sense in a VM under Windows. I wouldn't be sad if Office for Mac dies.

17. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

It's a shame that Microsoft treats Office for Mac as the red headed stepchild considering that the 3 main apps (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) were originally written for the Mac and later transported to Windows.

I use both Office 2010 on Windows (at work mainly and on my Windows Laptop which I rarely use these days) and Office:Mac 2011 on my MacBook Pro (which is my computer of choice). I would like to see more of the Office Windows apps ported to the Mac - most notably One Note. They already have One Note on iOS devices so only the Mac itself is left.

As far as Word and Excel goes, both apps work great - for me - on either platform. There are a few minor differences in the UI, but I can easily find my way around. I use Excel the most and have not had any compatibility issues between the Mac and Windows versions. I don't use PowerPoint enough to really say which is better.

Outlook on the Mac version is - in my opinion - great as long as you only use it as a stand alone product, which in todays world is not possible. I like to have my tasks and schedules with me at all times whether I am using an iPad or iPhone and quite frankly Outlooks sync capabilities are terrible. The only way to sync calendars and tasks is via iTunes. No iCloud or even any other type of cloud sync. Wake up Microsoft. Luckily Apple's calendar software and BusyCal works like a charm and so does OmniFocus for which I use with tasks. I can use BusyCal for tasks as well and that syncs with Apple's reminder program so all is good as well. I have used Outlook in Windows for years along with the Plan Plus (FranklinCovey) add in and I absolutely loved it for my mail, calendar, tasks, projects, notes etc. I wish there was a Mac solution for that.

I am hoping that Microsoft adds One Note to Office:Mac and then also adds the major components (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and maybe Outlook) to iOS. Considering the way Microsoft works, I won't hold my breath though.

18. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

This article was written by William Smith, Mac MVP.

When’s the next version of Office for Mac coming out?

Past history shows:

• Microsoft brand names Office for Mac one year later than Office for Windows
    • Microsoft releases Office for Mac an average of nine months after releasing Office for Windows

Scroll to the end to read when Bill predicts the next version of Office for Mac will be released.

19. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

The point of my statement was not conspiracy theory, it was pure business strategy. Withhold Office for iPad (iOS) until Windows 8 and the Surface is released. Why release Office for iPad before the Surface is released, potentially assuring customers it's OK to buy and iPad now (students especially) rather than wait till the end of October for a Windows 8 tablet.

Here's your conspiracy theory:

MS will include the full non tablet optimized version of Office for free on all Windows 8 Tablets. Check out the Arstechnica article/review. . This reassures potential buyers of Office compatibility, similar to the psychology of insurance and extended warranties.

The conspiracy is to make Office actually useful without a keyboard and mouse/trackpad, will be a paid Metro apps released in early 2013. That's my personal opinion, why else would they give away one of their most profitable products?

If you have an iPad and you want to see what the free Office for windows 8 tablets feels like, download the high res images from Arstechnica. Zoom in a little (tiny bit) to approximate the the different screen size and aspect ration.

If that isn't a user interface nightmare for a touch tablet not needing external input devices, I have a bridge to sell you ;)

Sidenote question, I haven't been keeping up.....

Is Office (2013 or whatever #) only free for the MS Surface tablets? Is included for free on Samsung, Lenovo, etc.., tablets?