Office 2016 for Mac stable now?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ipadlover29, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I was about to purchase office 2016 for my Mac since its on sale now. I noticed there were a number of bugs once it first came out and a lot of them related to el capitain. Would you say most of the issues are resolved now?

Thanks in advance
    AK

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I have not noticed anything, and have been using only Office 16.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Didn't have any of the issues so hard to say, it has been stable since I installed it alongside Office 2011.

4. macsba macrumors 6502

After installing the latest updates, smooth as silk. I'm using it on El Capitan version 10.10.1.

5. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

No problems with stability but it's s l o w to launch on my 2012 iMac and 2013 Macbook Air

6. Preclaro_tipo macrumors regular

with El Cap and the latest Office 2016 updates it is certainly usable. Start up times are still very slow for me 2 to 3 minutes for each word and excel. Screen redrawing in word feels a little better but when you race base 4-6 screens the document disappears until it draws in the pages again. It certainly feels like they have hacked a work around to the slow scrolling in word by just not rendering as many pages until you are right over them.

Scrolling in excel is okay too, sometimes it still stutters or feels like it is getting hung up on something, then suddenly it will scroll okay.

I find the whole package livable, but without any noticeable new features, only performance regressions and bugs, and the fact that it remains only 32 bit, it is my opinion that this is a very poor office release. I'm really disappointed with Microsoft.

One last thing, I tried to use the one drive but my mac files have characters in them that MS won't allow to be uploaded to one drive, the application just gives me a warning about incorrect characters and quits uploading. I'm not going through 1,000s of my files nor am I going to piece-meal storage by putting some projects on One Drive and some projects locally so I'm not going to use one drive at all until they give me a way to quickly replace improper characters with ones appropriate for their DOS based servers.

7. Coltaine macrumors regular

Coltaine

I am using Office 2016 both on a mid-2011 MacBook Air (8 GB RAM) and a maxed out 27" late-2015 iMac.
    It runs smooth and stable on both machines. Obviously a little bit faster on the iMac, but I cannot complain about its performance on the MacBook Air.
    I am using Word, Excel and PowerPoint, so far I have not encountered any problems. It integrates well with the reference manager Papers 3.
    The performance of Office 2016 is substantially better than Office 2011, especially on the MacBook Air.

8. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

Can you please clarify what aspects of performance are "substantially better" and, hence, why I would want to "upgrade"? Office 2011 works perfectly fine for me on my 2013 MBA so I am wondering what is better, particularly in view of the comments from Preclaro_tipo. Thanks.

9. Coltaine macrumors regular

Coltaine

On my MacBook Air Office 2011 developed several problems:

1. The start-up time and the shut-down times of the programs continued to become longer. While the performance was OK in the beginning, over time (and several system updates from Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks to Yosemite) the time it took to load the programs deteriorated. In the end it sometimes took 10-15 seconds until the programs were loaded. When I right-clicked on the symbols it took several seconds to show the menus. And when I shut the programs down, it would again take a long time, until the programs disappeared. Load and shut down times are not completely immediate on the MacBook Air with Office 2016, but a lot faster than with 2011. Also the right click menu appears instantaneously.

2. Loading a Word document (150 pages, a few images, some literature references) was really "glitchy". It took a long time for all pages to be loaded and to appear, while scrolling down, I was regularly reset to the top of the document, while more pages were loading. Images started to disappear and re-appear, when you scrolled over them. Saving the document would result in a "save bar" that you could watch loading, while the document was saving. All in all I would not consider this a heavy document and I would expect an application like Word to handle it more gracefully. With the 2016 version of Word, the same document almost loads instantaneously, you can scroll down, even when pages are still loading, images won't disappear and re-appear and saving is also almost instantaneous.

3. Working within a document (be it Word, Excel or PowerPoint) became increasingly frustrating, since even simple things like copying or cutting a sentence or a PowerPoint slide resulted in long loading times that regularly showed the spinning beachball. Inserting new slides into PowerPoint also resulted in long loading times and the beachball. Not the mention working with images, even small ones. This has all been remedied in the new version of Office.

4. I am using Papers 3 and Magic Citations a lot to quote literature references. Using this function in Word had also become increasingly slow up to the point, where it was almost unusable, when you had more then 60 or 70 references. No problems in the new Office so far.

So for me, the overall experience as well as start-up speed, shut-down speed, the access to menus as well as the workflow within the apps has greatly improved.
    If you do not have these problems with Office 2011, an upgrade is maybe not worth it.

10. chscag macrumors 68000

I agree with you that it's a very poor Office release, however, it (Mac Office 2016) is 64 bit as it will not run on anything before Yosemite (which is 64 bit).

11. Ipadlover29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. Easttime macrumors 6502

I had the crash problems when I upgraded the OS to El Capitan, but these have resolved with the updates. Works fine for me and I use Word, Excel and PowerPoint heavily. Very stable and convenient.

13. jojoba macrumors 68000

14. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

No. 2011 never crashed on me. Office 2016 will crash randomly if my GPUs change or when I wake from sleep. It's not consistent, but it happens. I haven't lost any data yet, but I've had about 8 crashes in the last 2 weeks.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I didn't have problems on my early 2011 MBP aside from the issue with El Capitan that was patched.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its been rock solid for me, no complaints at all.

17. vladobizik macrumors 6502

No, Office 2016 for Mac is 32-bit, there are no 64-bit apps as of yet.
    (The Office apps are pretty much the only remaining 32-bit apps I'm running at any given time.)

18. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I have found Outlook 2016 for Mac to be very poor indeed. Keep getting sync pending for this folder message which many other people have reported - I use Google Mail. I never had issues with Office 2011 and am thinking of reverting to that version.

19. osplo macrumors member

Guys, how about backwards file compatibility?

I read some horror stories about Word 2016 cannot properly read old Word 2011 documents. Nothing major but style changes, added lines, and such.

Well, any comments on this? I have thousands of old .doc and .docx files that I would need to open and edit and I don't want to bother with format changes.

Thanks!

20. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

I haven't had any problems with old files but mine are pretty simple. I have an old SW Bell Service Application from 2005 and it still opens. (Office 15.20, OS X 10.11.4)

21. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Microsoft and "stable" - a oxymoron (apologies in advance for offending Microsofties - just had ta)

22. Preclaro_tipo macrumors regular

I have old documents that have formatting specific to versions of word on the PC from over 10 years ago, many of those from Word Perfect, and brought 100s of 'styles' per document. I've found the opening of old word documents to work just fine in Word 2016. Word 2016 opens them in Compatibility Mode and I haven't had issues with compatibility mode.

I have updated (File->Convert Document) a copy of the old formatted documents and many formatting issues get presented. Page numbers and underlines don't convert well...the spacing gets pushed around. Horizontal lines can truncate, and i've had page numbers get added to the lower right footer in addition to the upper right header...but all those issues were curable.

When I had issues with a page number I posed detailed descriptions and images of the before and after changes and I received prompt help from the community.

I recommend working with copies of your old format documents and start figuring out how to correct those old documents if they don't covert perfectly, in many cases the files sizes get reduced, the image editing is much better, and conversation to PDF has less errors. If that isn't convincing enough, in my opinion its time, its been 6 years since the old version, and well over a decade in the previous format. Time to bite the bullet and convert documents over. After version 15.20 that came out a couple weeks ago, i'm fully satisfied with Word for mac.

23. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I still get crashes in Excel when I have more than one document open for a long time (3-7 days).

I recommend close them after you're done.

24. fhopper macrumors member

fhopper

25. PowderHound43 macrumors newbie

PowderHound43

Excel crashes daily for me, usually more than once. It often happens while trying to save... So of course, my work gets lost. I'm on the latest version of Excel and El Capitan. There's also tons of bugs with the UI when using a Thunderbolt Display. Cursor placement is inaccurate, scrolling while highlighting cells often doesn't work, the top of the window sometimes disappears until you resize it... The list goes on. I log it all using the frowny-face widget, but no one seems to be doing anything about it at MS. Office 2011 was stable. Office 2016 is the least stable product I've ever used. It would be a joke, if my business didn't rely on it.