Office 2016 / Office 365?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robo456, Apr 1, 2015.

1. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I've googled a little bit, but can't quite figure this out...

So is Office 2016 a 'standalone' version of Office for Mac (like 2011)? I read that after the preview expires, it will require an Office 365 subscription, but I thought Office 365 was it's own set of applications?

Can anyone break it down for me?

Thanks!

--rob

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Office 365 is the same set of applications, but paid for as a subscription service.

3. robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456

Ah ok.. thanks much for the clarification!

--rob

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

you have two options to purchase Office. The box set, which means you own just the software and once you pay for its yours. The other is the subscription which you pay a monthly fee, but you also get other benefits such as OneDrive storage, Skype minutes etc.

I have office on multiple computers at home, so its much more cost effective for me to have the subscription.

5. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

How do you sync calendars, contacts and To-Dos between installations?

Or, can you?

6. Supertaff macrumors member

When you take Office 365 as a subscription it provides you with downloadable versions of Office 2013 for Windows and 2011 for Mac. You also then get access to the Web Based versions of the products as well.

The bundle also includes items like skydrive and access to the mobile apps (thought he model for those is still changing)

My last understanding of the MS business model was that apart from business users there was to be no standalone version of Office that you could buy and that the only way you'd be able to get access to the suite was via the 365 subscription model.

I bought the 365 5 User home license and have 2011 installed on two of my macs and 2013 installed on my Windows virtual machine for compatibility version.

In regards to the current Office 2015 Beta that is available for Mac, you can download that now for free and run it alongside the existing 2011 versions (as I am). The software will auto update overtime MS release a new version and once the full on-sale version goes live, the beta will last for 60 or 90 days (can't remember which) before it will expire and not be useable.

So if you do download it and want to continue you will have to buy an Office 365 subscription.

Note : MS are constantly changing their licensing models so it might evolve prior to the launch date.

7. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

With an Exchange server. For example, Office 365 hosts my email, and Exchange is part of the monthly fee.

8. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Me too. There are 5 of us that get unlimited storage plus office, the international skype minutes are a bonus for ME.

9. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

When Office for Mac 2016 is released it will be available for purchase as a box set and as subscription.....unless Microsoft changes it's mind before it goes RTM.

FWIW, you can get the subscription on Amazon cheaper than from the Microsoft store. Price varies wildly. At one time you could get the Home version for $61/year. Currently it's $83.

10. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

Sorry, I don't understand. Who has this exchange server?

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't, I have Office for Excel and word. I don't use Outlook on the mac.

12. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

In my case, it's Microsoft because Office 365 hosts my email. The service is branded as Exchange Online: https://products.office.com/en-us/exchange/exchange-online

Lots of other email providers and ISPs provide hosted Exchange services.

13. flur macrumors 68000

I keep everything in google and sync that to Outlook. Before I used google apps, I used the calendar and tasks tools from my email provider, and synced all of that with outlook.

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I've been using the 2016 beta, and so far I like it. I have 365 through work, and it includes 5 downloads of Office. I'm hoping that when 2016 is released that my downloads updates to include the new version.

15. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

The new version of outlook is actually pretty good, the 2011 version pretty bad. I do have about 8 email accounts and that probably makes a difference, but I have not found anything I like near as good.

16. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

And that prompts another question? How's that done? Outlook 2011 has no sync capabilities and when I installed that preview version of the new Office that Outlook didn't have it either.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not knocking it, I use outlook on my SP3, but I'm happy with the delivered mail.app.

18. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Sure, just tossing in there. Everyone has different needs and that's quite understandable. I've also been using outlook so long anything else seems strange.:) Outlook iso is also pretty good now.

19. flur macrumors 68000

Ah...I use IMAP, so everything automatically syncs. I'm not sure how it would work with a POP account.

ETA: For calendar and contacts, AFAIK Outlook automatically connects with the source, so it *should* just work if you're using calendar/contacts that live in the cloud. You'd have to try it to know for sure.

20. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

That's the thing. The operative word here is "should". In other words, I won't know til I fork out for the product.

So, I'm reluctant to make the purchase if I'm stuck with a basically useless Outlook client.

Until someone can inform us if Outlook for Mac in whatever flavor can sync calendars without having to pay a lot of money (for a home user with 2 computers and 2 handhelds) then I'll stick with Thunderbird and its add-on for Google Calendar.

21. flur macrumors 68000

You don't actually have to pay - the Office 2016 preview is free.

FWIW, I've been using Airmail and the built-in calendar app, both connected to Google, and that's working out for me.

22. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

As others have said, "Office 365" is just "Get Office as an annual subscription - always getting the latest version for your platform."

Office 2016 for Mac will *ONLY* be available via the Office 365 subscription (at least, that's what all the signs point to.) It is also expected that the next Office for Windows will be subscription-only.

MS could change their mind and make it available for "direct purchase," but it seems likely it will be subscription-only. (Or, like the iOS versions, "read-only" for free, and the subscription will allow you to edit.)

23. campyguy macrumors 68030

FYI. Third paragraph from the end. I've got this bookmarked.

http://blogs.office.com/2014/10/31/new-outlook-mac-available-office-365-customers/

"In the first half of 2015 we will release a public beta for the next version of Office for Mac, and in the second half of 2015 we will make the final release available. Office 365 commercial and consumer subscribers will get the next version at no additional cost, and we will release a perpetual license of Office for Mac in the same timeframe."

I bought a 2-machine perpetual license for Office 2011 Professional directly from MS in 2010, and was emailed a license key code - I'm assuming this is the same type of perpetual license.

24. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Do you know if Office 2016 will be free once the full version is out for those that had the preview ?

25. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Whew, I'm glad they will have perpetual.