Office 365 and One Drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NutFlush920, Aug 16, 2015.

1. NutFlush920 macrumors regular

Here's the deal... I have Dropbox Pro and pay $100/year for it. I'm thinking my money may be better spent on Office 365. For the same $100/year that I'm paying now I'd also get MS Office. Yes iWorks is nice but, it's just not the same as Office in my opinion as much as I love Apple.

According to http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Office-365-Home/productID.286395000 I'd get Office for 5 PCs or Macs, 5 tablets including iPad, Android, or Windows, plus 5 phones. It also says "Customers with an active Office 365 Home subscription receive an additional 1TB of OneDrive storage. They can share their subscription benefits with up to four members of their household, and each member who is added to the existing subscription also receives an additional 1TB OneDrive storage".

So, if I'm reading this correctly, I'd be able to spit the $100 yearly fee between 5 people whom would all individually get 1TB storage, Office installed on each of their Macs, each of their iPads and each of their iPhones right? Or am I misreading something? Seems to good to be true for $20 each per year.

2. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Yes, I read it this way too. Contact MS if you have doubts.

3. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

That's a tremendous deal. In the UK that price is for one user (1 COMPUTER, 1 tablet, 1 phone)

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's £79.99 a year for 5 users in the UK - https://products.office.com/en-gb/office-365-home?icid=Office_for_home_apps_nav_22102014

One thing that people should be aware of with the Office365 Home edition is that it isn't licensed for commercial / business use and the 5 members have to be in the same household.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

As stated above, Office 365 home is for computers and mobile devices in the same household. If you're running a Business, you'll need to use one of MS' Office 365 Business plans.

If this is for home use, you can actually save off the SRP by purchasing a keycard from an authorized retailer as opposed to from MS directly. I've bought 1-year subscription keys for as little as $63. That price is worth it for OneDrive storage alone, let alone licenses to the Office suite for myself, my wife, and my parents on their computers and smartphones.

6. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

I found this one. $25 off Microsofts price. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009SPTUW2#Ask

7. Muttznuttz macrumors newbie

Muttznuttz

I purchased the £79.99 deal last week. I have Office 2016 on my Mac now and the 2013 version on my Bootcamp partition. Together with 1TB x5 of cloud storage, it's a fantastic deal. Don't forget free updates / upgrades to the Office 365 suite

8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That'll work. The $63 I paid was last year around Black Friday, but what you linked to is still very good.

9. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

As I understand it you can pick up these deals as you find them and just use them as need at renewal. Is that accurate?

10. Linuxpro macrumors regular

I have it on my macbook air, my iPad, iPhone, and my Samsung phone. It works well.

I am using 2011. I am waiting before bothering with 2016.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I have 365 for work and Dropbox for my personal use. I love 365, but I would love to be able to drag whole folders into One Drive, and not have to recreate every folder and then drag in files.

12. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

Does OneDrive on the Mac work the same as Dropbox service?

13. Linuxpro macrumors regular

The concept it the same, but OneDrive is more versatile. As Allflowers said, you can move full directories in one drop.

14. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

It does backup photos from the iPhone automatically like Dropbox right?

15. Linuxpro macrumors regular

Never tried that.

I just looked on my iPad. There appears to be an option to enable that. Unfortunately I think it is an "all or nothing" setting.

16. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

Trying it now. I am able to move full folders from Dropbox to OneDrive in Finder. I installed OneDrive from the App Store on my MBP. Not sure if that matters or not.

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Hrmmm...maybe you have to do it from the OneDrive folder and not the web interface. Will give that a whirl!

BTW, how are you adding OneDrive in Finder?

18. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

I installed the app, logged in, and told it where to put the folder. Works just like Dropbox from what I'm seeing thus far

19. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

You also get an hour of skype minutes every month to further sweeten the deal.

20. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Installed what app?

We get that anyway. :(

21. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Unless Microsoft have changed the way OneDrive works, Dropbox has one it has one big advantage over it: Delta updates. In other words, if you change one byte in a 200mb file with dropbox, it will only transmit the bit of the file that's changed. With OneDrive (and Google Drive) the whole file is uploaded again.

23. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

This to me doesn't much matter with being able to share with my family and each getting a TB of online storage. So much more bang for the buck.

24. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

My experience of one Drive on a mac is that you it cannot directly access your existing folders. You have to create a special folder and put everything in there that you want to put on one drive. This means you are duplicating everything that you sync to one drive on your local hard drive. I tried to do a little research on the web on this issue and it would appear this is because Apple does not allow onedrive to access folders directly.
    It also means the folders that you put in the one drive folder soon get out of sync with the original folders that you were trying to sync.

25. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

Are you referring to the default folders in Mac OS such as documents music pictures etc.? If so I never really found a good solution for dropbox either and just ended up creating all the folders within dropbox or in this case one drive and access my files that way