Office 365 on macOS Sierra

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Smokey_Rasta_SA, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Smokey_Rasta_SA macrumors newbie

Smokey_Rasta_SA

Hi All,

I am having a terrible issue using Microsoft Excel on my MacBook Pro.

I bought the new MacBook Pro Without Touch Bar as well as Office 365 on a subscription basis.

My particular issue is with Excel where it spits out data as in figure 1.

I then head to Data (In the task bar) -> Text to Columns -> I select Delimited -> I select Comma & then select finish. Figure 2 shows how the data should look but only after I follow the above steps.

This usually lays out the data within their relevant columns but in some cases it doesn't & the data continues to be a mess. Figure 3 still displays issues where the columns are not matching there headings...

I have highlighted in red what I mean where "Advertiser Currency" should display "ZAR" but it is in the wring area even after the steps of Text to Columns.

Attached Files:

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Help menu> Check for Updates. Anything available? MS are frequently patching Office 16/365 on Mac.

3. Smokey_Rasta_SA thread starter macrumors newbie

Smokey_Rasta_SA

Thanks for the response :)

I have the very latest version according to the software update.

The office I.T guy states this has been a known issue so was wondering if others had a solution for this.

4. jaduff46 macrumors regular

jaduff46

Please post the data in a .csv or raw txt file. My suspicion is that there are embedded commas in the first field (perhaps elsewhere too).

5. campyguy macrumors 68040

Agreed with jaduff46, seeing a screenshot of or access to the source data is key here. The 3rd image alone isn't sufficient for me to help.

6. Smokey_Rasta_SA thread starter macrumors newbie

Smokey_Rasta_SA

Hey Guys,

I deleted those files (Stupidly) yesterday but I have added another document which is having the same issue. Basically the columns need to match the data. Example, The "Advertiser Currency" Column needs match the ZAR label like in my original screenshot.

Attached Files:

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've just tried opening that file in Excel on my Mac and it looks fine to me?

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.40.35.png

This is the latest version of Office 365 on the Office Insider Fast track so it could be they've fixed something in the latest updates?

8. Smokey_Rasta_SA thread starter macrumors newbie

Smokey_Rasta_SA

Thanks for the response!

Possibly. My colleague also has a Mac but running Office 2011 and running into the same issue.

How can I be part of the Office Insider Fast track program to see whether they finally fixed this issue?

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I don't think that the Office Insider version will resolve it. I don't believe that it is a bug in Excel.

I've tried that file on the latest public version of Excel 2016 on macOS Sierra. It imported fine.

Oh, you probably should've named the file "Data Needed.txt" rather than "Data Needed.csv" since anyone loading the .csv will have it already displayed in columns. I renamed the file to .txt and retraced your steps, it worked fine.

I examined the .csv file in my programmer's text editor and looked for "hidden" characters. Everything looked fine.

I think it is an "environmental" issue with yours (and your colleague's) systems. Perhaps something uniquely installed or configured.

10. Smokey_Rasta_SA thread starter macrumors newbie

Smokey_Rasta_SA

The problem must be within our Macs then. I actually opened the file in PDF & Numbers and the problem persists. It must be a default setting somewhere in my Mac but I have zero clues as to what.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

All you need to di is a Check for Updates from Excel / Help menu and select the option in the Auto Update window

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 13.40.31.png

12. Smokey_Rasta_SA thread starter macrumors newbie

Smokey_Rasta_SA

Thanks all :)

The Text to Columns seems to be finally solving my problem even though it takes a couple of clicks to get the data that I need.

I am having one last issue though. I want the comma to the default number separator & I remember heading to System Preferences -> Date & Time -> Open Language & Region -> Advanced -> The selecting the Decimal as a comma

This worked like a dream but it isn't pulling through to Excel.

I have attached another ZIP folder just with images and the CSV.

The yellow highlighted parts is what I want, the comma, where it can display the currency data, or transfer the data to a currency form. The periods below the highlighted area display the data incorrectly. I usually solved that by going into Date & Region and changing those settings but no luck this time...

I might be doing something wrong and ill check my old MacBook at home but have a look.

Attached Files:

13. campyguy macrumors 68040

OP, I appreciate the feedback, however, I don't see the raw data source as I'd requested - the finished workbook with the single sheet doesn't help me help you…

I do suggest one workflow change that most people I've helped with Excel that make one error with CSV files - use the Import Command (in the File Menu), not the Open Command. If it's a text file with a .CSV file extension (I use a text editor for this often - they're great "can openers") or a raw CSV file, I always use the Import Command for the first time it's being opened in any version of Excel. If the data fields are structured properly - using comma or tab characters only with that relevant delimiter option selected - you should find the data imported cleanly…

One bit, you'll need to have at least one Excel workbook open, most of Excel's commands are not active/executable (greyed out) when at least one active workbook (even a blank/empty one) is open. The Text Import Wizard give the option of importing into a current worksheet or a new worksheet.

Importing a file using the Import Command and choosing the CSV option will not be affected by changing the System Language.