Office 365 only for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xVeinx, Jul 16, 2012.

1. xVeinx macrumors 6502

While Microsoft has said in the past that they will remain committed to producing versions of Office for the Mac, at what point do you foresee that they will be limited to online varieties? With today's press conference, they appear to be making a major push towards cloud versions of office (Office 365). The integration of Skype, Yammer, and other software packages may reduce the number of features and motivation for Microsoft to port any or all of it to Unix...

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think it would make much sense for Microsoft to stop Office for Mac now - when marketshare of Apple machines is higher than ever. Back in 2004 it would have made more sense to kill it.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Microsoft is a Software company. They don't do the whole "I'ma-go-and-not-bother-developing-for-other-platforms" like Apple do (because Apple is a hardware company).

If the platform is popular enough and there is demand, Microsoft will make it happen. In their own buggy sort of way. :)

4. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I was willing to pay for a single copy of Office for Mac 2016, but MS informed me that I could only get it by paying the yearly subscription for their 365 cloud version. That sucks. I'll live with Office 2011; will not be sucked into an annual subscription fee.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is only available through 365 now, but will be available as a standalone later this year

6. Raicya macrumors newbie

7. Budiosx macrumors regular

Budiosx

i hate both versions 2011 & 2016 for mac, i will go windows version

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I hate subscription based software, so I will stay with Office for Mac 2011 for the time being.

9. Attonine macrumors 6502a

I often have to work in remote locations, sometimes for several months at a time. Often internet connections are simply not available to me, and when they are they are very weak, very limited bandwidth, like going back to dial up days. I'm keen for developers to maintain standalone (non subscription) versions of their software, all this cloud stuff and checking in to activate this or that just will not work for me. I'm not unique, but I know my situation is far from the norm.

10. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Nothing wrong with subscription-based to me. (Or new, even; IBM's been doing that for decades!) For $99 a year, I get to have the latest versions of everything for up to 5 pcs/macs (the pc versions include publisher and access), plus 5 tablet/phones.

11. JTravers macrumors 6502a

And don't forget the 1TB OneDrive space included. It's a pretty great deal.

And if you only need Office for 1 Mac, 1 tablet, and 1 phone, you can save $30/yr and get the Personal edition.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes. Subscription-based mainframe software is a major reason for the rise of personal computers as business tools. One of the consequences was that IBM lost its dominant position in business computing.

Microsoft, a monopoly power in business productivity software, and Adobe, a monopoly power in creativity software, are turning their backs on their personal computer roots for a steady stream of subscription fees. Given a choice, customers prefer the freedom of ownership over subscriptions. Someone will find a way to satisfy customer preference.