Office 365 vs Google drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bounou, Nov 13, 2015.

1. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

I have been using google drive for a few years now and the only problem really is how slow Google tends to be to update when new iOS features grit released, case in point neither sheets or docs app for iOS have been updated for iPad Pro resolution or for multitasking support.

I am thinking of switching to Office 365 but debating if I really want to get in to the cycle of paying 70$ a year for something that has mostly worked without any issues.

I'm also worried how well the excel or word would work in Chrome compared to google docs, really not all that interested in using the Mac OS X apps would rather just keep using it in a browser.

Anyone have experience with making the switch? Is it worth it? Is outlook for Mac OS X good? Do any of you use it for personal accounts?

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

I switched my company and personal use to Office 365 last year. I have the Home sub for my personal Office installs (5 installs), a Business Essentials account for Yammer/Sharepoint/my own personal domain, and E3 for my business. Plus 60 minutes of Skype each month, per install. It. Just. Works. I used Google Apps for 5 years and don't even miss it.

Buying tip: don't pay retail. I bought my Home license from Best Buy, who matched the $64 selling price - for 5 installs - that was listed on Amazon at the time. There's deals about for Personal around $50; for $14 more, I got 4 more installs - a no-brainer.

Buying tip 2: If Personal is what you need/want, consider buying a cheap Windows Tablet - most of which come with a Personal license, use the license key, then resell the tablet on CL.

Outlook has been causing problems with El Capitan. An update to the suite was issued a couple of days ago, but I've read that the update didn't fix the crashing problems. I've got a workaround, and I'll be posting it over the weekend.

Keep in mind that you can sign up for a 30-day free trial of Home or Business Premium - at the end of the trial you'll be given a choice of Home/Personal or the 3 Business plans, respectively. There's no way I'm going back to Google's offerings...

As to Chrome, I use it only for Googling. But, about 2 weeks ago, MS launched this "official" extension: http://www.computerworld.com/articl...s-office-online-add-on-for-browser-rival.html (link to the extension in that post).

3. bounou thread starter macrumors 6502

bounou

Ok will give it a shot, and don't worry i get 54% off of everything i buy on Amazon :)

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

Cool, you're shopping for two now - you, and me!! :D

I'm a Prime member too, however, there's a Best Buy a short walk away from my office, which led to my recommendation for that option. Options are good. And, my short walk beats 2-day shipping every time! Cheers!

5. jahala macrumors regular

I use Office365 at work. Mass uploading lots of files to Office 365 is painfully slow and required much more user time than it should, but once your information is in there, it works great.