Office Apps Quit when I switch to different User

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SheerGold, Oct 7, 2008.

1. SheerGold macrumors member

I use a number of User Accounts on the same computer.

MS Word and MS Excel both quit when I switch to a different Account.

I am running 10.4.11 and use Microsoft Office 2004.

Anyone have any ideas of how I can stop the MS apps from quitting?

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

You're talking about using Fast User Switching, right? You're not logging out, you're just going to the User menu in your menu bar and switching to another account.

What happens when the apps quit? For example, if you had a document open in Word that you were editing and hadn't saved when you tried to switch, what would happen? Does the app crash? Do you get the dialog asking if you want to save before you quit?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

3. SheerGold thread starter macrumors member

I only notice the crash in a User when I have changed back again to that User. Then a dialogue box shows that says that Excel had to quit plus another dialogue box saying that Word had to quit.

4. DavidPelton macrumors newbie

What happens with other applications?

Can you give details more on do you have the same document open on both?

Thanks for providing those

David

5. SheerGold thread starter macrumors member

The other apps stay up.

It does not depend on the document. The Office apps quit with or without a document open.

6. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I can't find any other reports of this happening (and you're definitely not the only person using fast user switching with Office 2004!), so it seems like there has to be some kind of weird issue with your installation.

How long has this been happening? Did it start after you did something (install an update, install another app, move something around on your hard drive, ... )? Where do the Office applications live on your hard drive? Have you tried reinstalling the applications to see if it makes a difference? Does it happen with every user account on your machine, or is it just one or a few of them?

You might have an issue that's weird enough to justify calling tech support. You get 2 or 3 (sorry, I can't recall exactly how many it is) free calls to tech support with a legal license of Office 2004.

Regards,
    Nadyne.