Office Chairs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by epochblue, Sep 1, 2007.

1. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'm looking for some new chairs for my home office, and I came across this one at IKEA (also pictured below). Does anyone have any experience with the chair and can you tell me if it's any good?

If it's terrible, do you have any suggestions for chairs that are comfortable and are reasonably priced?

Attached Files:

2. termina3 macrumors 65816

Comfortable and reasonably priced are opposites... one or the other.

IKEA usually is uncomfortable for long periods... but cheap, cheap, cheap.
    I order nice ones from Levenger. You'll pay though.

To be specific, linky

3. epochblue thread starter macrumors 68000

epochblue

That's fair. The two may well be mutually exclusive, and I'm sure the $1000 Aeron chair is amazingly comfortable, unfortunately, I'm not made of money. I'm perfectly willing to sacrifice a reasonable amount of comfort for something I can actually afford...maybe around $100 (since I'll be buying 2 of whatever chair I decide to buy)?

Does such a thing exist?

4. tartsquid macrumors regular

tartsquid

I'd suggest going to Office Max or someplace similar and sitting in their chairs to test them out. :p

I have a very cheap chair like the Ikea one that I've been using for four years with no problems. It's plenty comfortable for me.

5. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I agree with tartsquid. Everyone's ass is different and chair comfort is totally a matter of personal preference. The best solution is to go to your local office supply store and give all the chairs a sit.

I can say that I've spent a fair bit of time in Aeron chairs, and I bought us Mirra chairs (also by Herman Miller) for my office. The expensive chairs are pretty dang nice. More durable than Office Depot $100 chairs, and a zillion times more adjustable.

That said, my chair at home was $99 from Office Max. The "leather" is torn already and it squeaks a bit now, but it's quite comfortable.

6. MK2007 macrumors regular

Don't buy that chair!

I NEVER have trouble with carpal tunnel or any of the usual ergonomic design problems that people report. However, I have learned that a solid, unpadded arm on the chair causes discomfort up to a moderate level.

Buy a chair with either no arms or one with padded arms.