Office Depot's Interesting Policy

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by pimentoLoaf, Mar 11, 2009.

1. pooky macrumors 6502

This sort of thing is exactly why so many retail chains are dying. It's also exactly why I won't shop retail for electronics. Most of the time I know what I want, and I know more about it than the salesperson, so why waste 20 minutes being pestered about money-wasting extended warranties when I could buy online?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow. I guess they don't profit from a laptop sale, then? Are they now selling them at wholesale prices?

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Another reason why you shouldn't buy windows. :p

5. tvp macrumors member

I work at a retail store that has a home office department. Luckily I'm not in sales. Our guys make nothing off laptop sales. Most companies set the price we can sell the items at and don't leave us much space to move around. We also can't really mark up the prices, otherwise everyone would just buy online straight from the manufacturer. We have a very generous employee discount but it's rarely more than $50-$100 on electronics. Our sales professionals do make their money off of packages (where we include routers, printers, etc.) and extended warrenties. But unfortunately in this economy a lot of people are just buying the unit with no extras and our sales professionals are really losing out.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

A NEW CSR LOW: Office Depot Lies About Notebook Stock

Wow, just wow...

I shop there. But this is becoming too hard to believe - what companies do nowadays... :(

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Off...oost+Extended+Warranty+Sales/article14549.htm

7. SecondDealer macrumors regular

It's really sad that its come to that point, in my mind its like a waiter who won't sell you any food because you're not getting a drink as well. I know I would never buy my computer in any store where the main focus was not on electronics.