Office display?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by seamer, Feb 28, 2014.

1. seamer macrumors 6502

seamer

Hi guys,

We have three large 50in TV's around the office. Two are connected to Apple TVs, and the third is connected to a laptop. We use this to display a custom Google site page with pertinent info (todays Calendar, emergency "this server is having trouble"). I want to add an ATV to it and save the laptop for an actual user, but I seem to be drawing a blank on whether I can actually pull this off.

Am I over-thinking this problem? Am I hosed and stuck with using a laptop for hooking the TV up to a page?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

so it just displays a single page that updates itself throughout the day?

Raspberry Pi/

you'll need a little linux knowledge, but it's cheaper than an aTV

3. seamer thread starter macrumors 6502

seamer

The core function is the page, but we have used it as a main display during informal presentations where reserving a large corporate meeting room would be infeasible.

We're also composed of a healthy portion of iOS/OSX devices, so having the third streamer wouldn't be a bad idea if possible.

4. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I guess AirPlay mirroring from an iPod/iPad wouldn't be an option? As in mirroring the display showing a website you mentioned, and it being shown on the Apple TV?

There was an app that was a full screen browser rather than having the black bars on each side but I don't remember the name.

pac

5. seamer thread starter macrumors 6502

seamer

That would still require a separate dedicated device to do.

I'll stick with what we have and hope that the next iteration of ATV has something I can work with. :)
    ~B

6. lank macrumors newbie

ya i think too..........

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Take a look at the Synology DS414 for your Business Environment. It acts more of a server/NAS combo and here is review:

8. dbanderson1 macrumors member

Google TV?

You may consider a google tv box, they are cheap and have chrome built-in. You could then just hard wire the laptop in the event you need it for presentations? or you could buy the google tv box and apple tv if you didn't feel like using wires (then just switch inputs).