Office for Mac 2004/08 vs. Office 2007 for Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jackc, Nov 1, 2007.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

For those of you who need Office for whatever reason (I know there are great alternatives), what are the pros and cons of going with the Windows version and running it on your Mac?

For one thing, Office '08 is dropping support for macros in Excel, so that's a point in favor of the Windows version which is why I was considering it.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Macro support is one reason.

100% compatibility. Some items are handled differently. In PowerPoint for example, videos clips are different formats.

The interface. For some it may be easier to have the same interface at work and at home.

Cost. Some organizations have a license that allows their employees to install a copy on their home computer when used for work related items. Or there may be other discounts available on the Windows side that aren't on the Mac side.

Personally, I use both Windows and Mac versions and plan on purchasing Mac Office 2008 when it is released.

3. furby macrumors newbie

Ah, a chance for my first post. Hello

I find the 2004 office mac unusable on the mac, any largish files take ages to load and manipulate (on intel mbp). I will say though, it keeps formatting well though form opening word documents from other sources.

I've taken to using office 2007 via bootcamp and vmware fusion and it's brilliant, Microsoft have made a great product in office 2007 (that felt a bit dirty to say)

That said, I would love to return to office for mac (2008). The interface looks good and I'm looking forward to giving it a chance.

4. ac-mac macrumors member

after testing the 08 beta for a while now i will definitely be picking up a copy as soon as its available.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Just to be sure - Is there pretty much 0% chance someone will hack macros onto Office08?

The beta is sweet, but buggy as sin on my Mac (I have read positives from other members)

6. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

Interesting. Why would you bother with Office 08 if you've had success with 07? I figure the reason I'm using Office is because of Windows compatibility, so why not just use the Windows version, especially if I can do it with Fusion? When I don't need the compatibility, I'll use something else anyway (maybe Mellel for word processing, Keynote for presentations).

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

RAM, startup time (assuming Fusion is not already running), a nice Mac UI are all part of it. Also compatibility will be enough for 99.9% of users :)

8. @home macrumors member

If I'm out of order asking ~ I do apologise.

Can I have a link to the beta 08 download? I love Office 2004 for Mac. Entourage is a dream, & am eagerly looking forward to 08 too.

Thanks

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This would be against the agreement, anyway from my experience, its not ready to replace 04 if you use it regularly due to stability issues...

10. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Why is M$ dropping macros in Mac Office '08, what reason did they give? Would there not be a large user base displeased with this decision, especially with the Mac user base becoming larger?

Not everyone wants to have to purchase a copy of Windows and then a copy of Office to run in Boot Camp or other VM applications.

11. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

The only thing I've read is that apparently it would have taken too long to add it in a timely fashion. And yes, a lot of people are not pleased about it and many business users have no intention of upgrading.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Microsoft is not dropping macros, it is dropping Visual BASIC for Applications. Microsoft had macros before VBA and will presumably have macros after VBA. The reason given for dropping VBA from the Mac is that VBA is slated to be dropped across the board. It chose not to invest the time and money in VBA for Office 2008 which would have been the last version in any event.

13. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I'm also running Office 2007 via Parallels and have been quite happy with it. So much so I see little reason to also purchase Office 2008. Sure the Mac version has some advantages over running the Windows version in virtualization or bootcamp, but not enough for me to buy Office twice in the space of a year.

14. @home macrumors member

& yet I have Office 2007 on my PC & I think it's messy untidy & not a patch on Office 2003.

I know we all have different opinions of software. i just hope 2008 for Mac isn't the mess office 2007 is for PC. I am wanting it & wanting to be good too.

No offense intended ~ Have Fun

15. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Mac 2004 is not worth it, unless you need power point, try to stick with Open source options. Rosetta just runs too slow. For power point if i'm trying to take notes on a slide during lecture, the initial creation of a comment takes 10 seconds, where my mouse becomes a beach ball.

08 should be universal so it should run a lot more efficiently.