Office for Mac 2011 Question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Coach21, May 14, 2012.

1. Coach21 macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I just installed Office for Mac 2011 for my wife on my iMac.

My question is, "Did I now make my iMac more susceptible to viruses because I'm running PC software?"

Thanks for any help,

Andy

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

You're running Mac software. It's a PC software written for the Mac. You are fine.

3. simsaladimbamba

No, as Windows malware can't affect Mac OS X, as it can't run, just like Windows software can't be simply executed within Mac OS X.
    And MS Office for Mac is not "PC (synonymous for "Windows" I suppose) software", it is Mac OS X software. Just because the company that makes MS Office also makes Windows, does not mean you use "PC software".

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    But as long as you don't install software from unknown and untrusted sources, you are safe, as malware needs administrative permissions to run successfully, which means, you need to install the malware yourself, it can't install itself (one of the reasons, why a Mac OS X virus hasn't appeared yet).
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

4. Coach21 thread starter macrumors newbie